How to test hyperlinks validity?

Eawyne

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all :)

I have a workbook that's used as a dashboard : there are macros, buttons, icons, organized in a fancy way to appeal to the average user. It happens to have a lot of links for convenience to various files on the servers (C:, W:, etc.).

It also happens that most of those files get edited by random people, and so I wanted to try and tinker something that could test out the validity of hyperlinks from the dashboard to have a quick glance at any broken link that may need assistance.

I've come up with a few codes :

VBA Code:
Sub TestHLinkValidity()

Dim rRng As Range
 Dim fsoFSO As Object
 Dim strFullPath As String
 Dim cCell As Range

Range("A1:B30").Select

Set fsoFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
 Set rRng = Selection

For Each cCell In rRng.Cells
 If cCell.Hyperlinks.Count > 0 Then

strFullPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\" & cCell.Hyperlinks(1).address
 If fsoFSO.FileExists(strFullPath) = False Then
 cCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3
 Else
 cCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 0

End If
 End If

Next cCell

End Sub

and

VBA Code:
Function HyperTest(c As Range)

If Dir(c) <> "" Then
 HyperTest = "File exists."

Else
 HyperTest = "File doesn't exist."

End If

End Function

But the problem with those is that they require a well-formated list to be of any use. I don't have that luxury - unless I create a table that collects all links - which would require the manual intervention of any user that modifies a file ! Realistically, it wouldn't even happen in an utopia...

Is there a solution to my problem ? Does something exist that sorta scans the whole workbook for links and tests them out ? Isn't it too outlandish ?

All members of all existing hyperlinks of the workbook in which this code is running are collected and displayed on a separate sheet.
Thank you so very much, I am certainly going to try using it. I managed to use the Link function in Kutools to copy and past the content of the cell and then have at least the ability to do a visual check.

Maybe you can help with another problem with the Hyperlinks - I need to change a value within the formulae to reflect another worksheet. These hyperlinks are jumping to different worksheets within the SAME workbook and I need to be able to change the worksheet name to which it need to jump to (for multiple hyperlinks). The find and replace function for that specific test within the Hyperlink formulae does not work when it refers to another worksheet within the workbook - I have seen solutions to change an external web address which is not what I need.

Much appreciated

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Glad to help and thanks for letting me know (y)

I need to change a value within the formulae to reflect another worksheet.

As this is a completely different question I think it's fair to ask you to start your own thread for this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back