How to Trace Field Dependents

BarbaraT

I have inherited a database which has a number of what I think are extraneous fields - sometimes the same info is unnecessarily recorded in two tables. I'd like to get rid of the duplicates and unneeded fields, but don't want to mess up the queries referencing those tables and fields if they are being used.

I'm looking for a way to do something similar to the "trace dependents" function in Excel -- select a field, and then ask "which queries reference this field?". I can do that for tables, using the "object dependencies" feature, but that only tells me which queries reference the TABLE in question. There may be many queries referencing the table, I'm trying to find out if any of those reference the FIELD. Clicking through and looking at the design of each of the queries referencing the table seems very cumbersome, and likely to result in stuff missed, particularly if it's in a subquery or something.

I'd expected that the Database Documenter feature would let me do something like what I'm after (get a list of queries referencing the actual field in question), but I can't figure out what combination of stuff to request to get that info.

Any suggestions on how to figure out if a field is referenced in any queries, and, if so, which ones?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
If you are using Access 2007, then select the Database Tools on the Ribbon then select Object dependencies.

Alan

Upvote 0
I believe that "object dependencies" will tell me which queries relate to the table in question, but not to a particular field. Is there a way to have Access check all the queries and tell me which ones actually reference a particular field? Or, am I missing something?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChipDude83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back