how to update Options under a drop down list when a linked drop down list is changed?

hrithik

I have a drop down list in $A$1 with options (fruits, Cake, Drinks)

Another drop down list in $B$1 shows these groups {apple, orange}, {cheese,chocolate}, and {soda,water} depending on the option selected in $A$1.

I'm using name ranges and Indirect() to link these two drop downs.

The problem I face is;
Firstly "fruits" is selected in $A$1 and "apple" in $B$1
Now if I select "Drinks" in $A$1, $B$1 still shows "apple".
I want $B$1 to update itself automatically whenever $A$1 cell is changed.

Is this possible?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

AlphaFrog

MrExcel MVP
Right-click on the sheet tab with the drop-down lists. Select "View Code" from the pop-up menu. Paste the code below in the VBA edit window.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then Range("B1").ClearContents

End Sub

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kashifziatevta423

This Week's Hot Topics

• Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...