How to use a unique identifier such as tool ID.

Jager819

I would like to use a unique Identifier such as Tool Id listed in Column A in two tables in different worksheets in the same workbook to compare data in other columns. Both tables are nearly identical with the columns after A all being start dates for specific projects. I get weekly updates from a customer with requested changes based on their needs and a lot of times the order of the Tool ID's in column A no longer match my existing table. Rather than spend the time resorting manually I would like to use the tool identifier to look up the data. For example, I use the simple formula "=[@[Project A Start]]-Table2[@[Project A Start]] to calculate the difference between the original dates and the updates provided by the customer. But for this to be accurate the order the tools appear in column A needs to be the same what I would like to do is have it look up the start date for "Project A" for "Tool B4" regardless of what row the data is in on the second table. I realize a simple solution would be to just resort tool ID alphabetically in both tables but this affects the logic used to determine dates in the first table. I used formulas to determine the start date based on the start date of the previous tool.

Attachments

• MR excell table 2.PNG
    MR excell table 2.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 10
  • MR excell table 1.PNG
    MR excell table 1.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

I also suggest that you investigate XL2BB for providing sample data to make it easier for helpers by not having to manually type out sample data to test with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cocolasticot50

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back