How to Use "GetPivotData" formula to retrieve data from a closed workbook

kizzie37

Office Version
  1. 365
I have an excel workbook "Master Database" which contains a "PIVOT" tab with 4 pivot tables of info.

I then have a workbook with multiple tabs all of which have tables using the "Getpivotdata" formula to look up and bring back financial/count info from the master file for each employee for each month (I set up a connection "from excel file"). The problem is it only works if I have both the target workbook and the master workbook open at the same time.

What I need is for the master file to sit in one folder and the target files to sit on the same shared drive but in a different folder and still bring back the formula result without the master database workbook being opened each time.

I've researched various connection options but cant pin down the exact way to do this. Can anyone assist?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
GETPIVOTDATA will only work if the source workbook is open. You could probably do something with power query to pull in the sheet with the pivot table on it as a table, and manipulate that. Otherwise you'd probably have to recreate the GETPIVOTDATA formulas in the master workbook and then link to those with regular formulas, but that seems like a lot of overhead.

Upvote 0
GETPIVOTDATA will only work if the source workbook is open. You could probably do something with power query to pull in the sheet with the pivot table on it as a table, and manipulate that. Otherwise you'd probably have to recreate the GETPIVOTDATA formulas in the master workbook and then link to those with regular formulas, but that seems like a lot of overhead.
Thanks, do you have any instructions on how to set up a power query? the only instructions i could find were for direct copy and paste from a closed workbook but I actually need to use GetPivots data or lookups.

Upvote 0
You can't use Getpivotdata. You would have to use PQ to return all the values on the sheet as a table, then use other formulas (lookup types probably) to extract the data you need from that table.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back