How to use Index and Match to retrieve data but exclude some other data

vjb

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Everyone,

I need help with the attached document. I want that the second tab (Fac Schedule) retrieves data from the first tab (Base Schedule) but distinguish between online and in class courses. The in person courses should be in separate columns and online courses in separate columns although in the original tab they are in the same columns. The classes in person have room numbers (101).
Please find attached the document.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Capture excel.PNG
    Capture excel.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
the easiest way to do this is to use a filter. I can show you how to do this, but I'll need to see your base schedule tab as well. Basically, you need to have something that identifies each course by day, time, and format. If in-person and online are in the same format as what you have here, just stacked, you can do something like =Filter(Index([SELECT ENTIRE RANGE IN BASE SCHEDULE],,1),[SELECT ENTIRE B COLUMN IN BASE SCHEDULE TAB]=[SELECT B1 CELL IN FAC TAB]). Make sure to use f4 to add $ in the "entire range in base schedule," but don't add them for the rest of the formula. that should populate an array that corresponds to the in-person Monday data. Then simply drag that formula to the right on the fac tab but change the "1" in the index command to "2" for the second column, 3 for the third and so on. If the data is set up differently in the two tabs, I'll need to see them both along with the row and column identifiers (the 1s and ABCs).

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: How to use Index and Match to retrieve data but exlude some other data
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
the easiest way to do this is to use a filter. I can show you how to do this, but I'll need to see your base schedule tab as well. Basically, you need to have something that identifies each course by day, time, and format. If in-person and online are in the same format as what you have here, just stacked, you can do something like =Filter(Index([SELECT ENTIRE RANGE IN BASE SCHEDULE],,1),[SELECT ENTIRE B COLUMN IN BASE SCHEDULE TAB]=[SELECT B1 CELL IN FAC TAB]). Make sure to use f4 to add $ in the "entire range in base schedule," but don't add them for the rest of the formula. that should populate an array that corresponds to the in-person Monday data. Then simply drag that formula to the right on the fac tab but change the "1" in the index command to "2" for the second column, 3 for the third and so on. If the data is set up differently in the two tabs, I'll need to see them both along with the row and column identifiers (the 1s and ABCs).

Attachments

• base schedule.PNG
    base schedule.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. I have attached the pic of the base schedule.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. I have attached the pic of the base schedule.
Up to now I have used this formula to retrieve the information from Base Schedule =IFERROR(INDEX('Base Schedule'!C53:BW53,MATCH(D3,'Base Schedule'!C54:BW54,0)),""). However it doesn't distinguish from Online and In person. Maybe it helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back