How to use text from a cell in a formula, so if I change the text, the formula changes to?

Want2BExcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a budget table. For each month there is a formula to get data from another sheet. But the text is "fixed", so for every post (row) I manually have to change this text in all 12 months (colums).
If I use a column to specify witch text I want in the formula and rewrite only the part of the formula that specify what text to look for, then my intention is that I only need to change the text in the new column to change it in every month column. Is that possible?

My formula is (hereunder) and it's the bold text that I want to change to get text from the extra column.

SUMIF(expected.expenses[text];"Health insurance";expected.expenses[July])

I have already tried the obvious way and just write C3, but then Excel can't find the matching text in the expected.expenses sheet...

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I'm struggling to follow what you want. Could you supply a worked example please, preferably using XL2BB ?

Upvote 0
That should work, in what way isn't it?

Upvote 0
I'm struggling to follow what you want. Could you supply a worked example please, preferably using XL2BB ?
I cant get XL2BB to work.
Hope these images help (just be aware that the text and formulas is in danish...that why I translated them in my question)

Image 1: here I have writen the text "BS TOTALKREDIT A/S" manually, and I have to do this for every month and for every expenses. When I do this excel finds the same text in "ANSLÅET.UDGIFTER[TEKST] and get the expense amont "-5700,00"

Image 2: when I try to point to the "Postering tekst", so that it automatic changes the text in all 12 months formulas, just by changing the text in "Postering tekst". When I do this excel does NOT find the same text in "ANSLÅET.UDGIFTER[TEKST] or get the expense amont "-5700,00"

Image 3: Is the sheet where the formula is finding/notfinding the data

Udklip1.JPG
Udklip2.JPG
Udklip3.JPG

Upvote 0
If you are getting a 0, that would suggest that the text in the Postering tekst is not exactly the same as in the other table.
From the images it looks as though you may have an extra space before the A/S

Upvote 0
Solution
If you are getting a 0, that would suggest that the text in the Postering tekst is not exactly the same as in the other table.
From the images it looks as though you may have an extra space before the A/S
WOW....I'm imbarrased :D Been fighting this for soooo many hours....and I choose to use the ONE ROW where I had an error :D :D :D NICE SPOTTED!!!! THX

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back