How Would You Go About This?

sethk1024

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Table on the left:

A history of a given player's stats from 2019 to 2021 (I stripped it down to illustrate the point)

Table on the right:

stats for a given player in a given year called from the original table. in this example, i'd like to get aaron rodgers' stats in 2021, for total points, as well as points per game of all the games called.

just for proper context, i will be doing this for thousands of players and data points, which is why im not using simple formulas here. i feel like I can do this with INDEX and MATCH again, however, and please forgive my novice. I have been playing with this for hours and am still learning how to use INDEX MATCH creatively

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 1.26.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 1.26.32 AM.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Since you are returning numeric values, you could simply use SUMIFS, which would allow you to sum up all rows meeting both those conditions (name and year).
See: MS Excel: How to use the SUMIFS Function (WS)

EDIT: Looks like Fluff snuck in there and beat me to the punch while I was typing this up and looking for the link!

Upvote 0
Wow, so simple. Thank you, to both of you. I think I tried SUMIFS before and was formatting the formula wrong or something b/c I moved on to something more complex.

Got it to work now!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.
can I ask a follow up? I'm trying to find the standard deviation of some of the data pulled.

so in this example

aaron rodgers 2021 points. i got the total points, average points, and now I am looking to find the stdev of the data pulled from that formula you provided, and it's giving me a divide by 0 error. is there a good way to go about finding stdev of the data we called in the previous step?

and no, the result of the formula isnt zero, its a number well above 0, not sure why exactly its giving me this error

Upvote 0
can I ask a follow up? I'm trying to find the standard deviation of some of the data pulled.

so in this example

aaron rodgers 2021 points. i got the total points, average points, and now I am looking to find the stdev of the data pulled from that formula you provided, and it's giving me a divide by 0 error. is there a good way to go about finding stdev of the data we called in the previous step?

and no, the result of the formula isnt zero, its a number well above 0, not sure why exactly its giving me this error
That is a TOTALLY different question (the original question has nothing at all to do with standard deviation), and therefore should be posted to a new thread.
That way, it will appear as a new, unanswered question to all those people who use the "Unanswered threads" listing to look for new questions to answer.

Upvote 0
will do. didnt wanna clutter the forums with repeated questions on a similar idea. but i will post it now! thanks
That is a TOTALLY different question (the original question has nothing at all to do with standard deviation), and therefore should be posted to a new thread.
That way, it will appear as a new, unanswered question to all those people who use the "Unanswered threads" listing to look for new questions to answer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back