HSTACK VSTACK and COUNTIF

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I have just recently discovered HSTACK and VSTACK.

Are they essentially a substitution for wherever a function has a "range" argument?

It seems to be "MOSTLY" so!

For instance, this is working here for SUM, AVERAGE
=AVERAGE(VSTACK([@SiEv2B],[@SiEv3],[@SiEv13],[@SiEv14],[@SiEv15],[@SiEv16],[@SiEv18B],[@[SiEv19B.b]],[@SiEv20b],[@[SiEv21.b]],[@SiEv22],[@SiEv23]))
=SUM(VSTACK([@SiEv2B],[@SiEv3],[@SiEv13],[@SiEv14],[@SiEv15],[@SiEv16],[@SiEv18B],[@[SiEv19B.b]],[@SiEv20b],[@[SiEv21.b]],[@SiEv22],[@SiEv23]))

It does not work for COUNTIF. For COUNTIF, Excel will not even let me enter the formula, it just gives you the generic error message "Are you trying to type a formula, start with a = sign..."
=COUNTIF(VSTACK([@SiEv2B],[@SiEv3],[@SiEv13],[@SiEv14],[@SiEv15],[@SiEv16],[@SiEv18B],[@[SiEv19B.b]],[@SiEv20b],[@[SiEv21.b]],[@SiEv22],[@SiEv23]),0)

Thanks if you can clarify this for me, or an idea of how to use COUNTIF with a non-contiguous range.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
They are not substitutes for range arguments, they consolidate multiple ranges or arrays into a single row or column. The output is an array not a range. As such it will not work with any function where a range is required, only those that will accept arrays.

Try
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(VSTACK([@SiEv2B],[@SiEv3],[@SiEv13],[@SiEv14],[@SiEv15],[@SiEv16],[@SiEv18B],[@[SiEv19B.b]],[@SiEv20b],[@[SiEv21.b]],[@SiEv22],[@SiEv23])=0))

Upvote 0
Solution
They are not substitutes for range arguments, they consolidate multiple ranges or arrays into a single row or column. The output is an array not a range. As such it will not work with any function where a range is required, only those that will accept arrays.

Try
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(VSTACK([@SiEv2B],[@SiEv3],[@SiEv13],[@SiEv14],[@SiEv15],[@SiEv16],[@SiEv18B],[@[SiEv19B.b]],[@SiEv20b],[@[SiEv21.b]],[@SiEv22],[@SiEv23])=0))
Thanks, that works. I have never really fully understood the difference between Excel functions that allow "array" vs. "range". Is there a way to tell in Excel which is which, or just by experimenting?

Upvote 0
Is there a way to tell in Excel which is which
When you look at the tooltips as you type the formula those that only accept ranges will either say Range, or Ref / Reference.

There may be some exceptions, one that comes to mind is AGGREGATE, which has 2 sets of tooltips and will accept arrays for some function numbers, but not all. See posts 5 and 7 here for more on that Use of AGGREGATE

Upvote 0
Thanks! I'll try to start noticiing the difference. It may matter more now since we have HSTACK and VSTACK.

Upvote 0
If you were not aware, there are a few functions that do return a range and as such can be nested into functions that do require a range. That said, trying to pass multiple ranges to a single argument as would be required for your original attempt would still not be easily done (if at all possible, I haven't attempted it).

INDEX, OFFSET, and INDIRECT are the main ones that come to mind, there may be a few others. (INDEX depends on data source and other steps).
Things like IF and CHOOSE can pass ranges as long as they are not manipulated by a previous step in the formula, which could likely convert the data to an array.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoffk036

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back