HTML maker & post length limits

PaddyD

MrExcel MVP
Hi Colo / Ivan / Suat / anyone who knows the answer.

We seem to be getting a lot of posts with html'd sheets in them that are too large for the board...From what I can see, this is usually due to people posting code for sheets that had a lot of formatting on them. HTMLing such sheets takes a lot of code & frequently exceeds the length limit for posts...

So - questions:

1) What is the length limit for posts to the board?
2) Is it worth adding a remark to the 'read me' text in the addin to the effect 'don't post versions of sheets with lots of formatting' or some such...
3) If there is a definite limit to the lenght of posts, could we add a check to the html maker that would determine if the posted table would be too large for the board & throw up an appropriate warning message (e.g. "sheet might be too large to post to MrExcel - ditch some of the colours - they're pointless anyway!")

Paddy
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-08-26 18:56

On 2002-08-26 18:55, PaddyD wrote:
Hi Colo / Ivan / Suat / anyone who knows the answer.

We seem to be getting a lot of posts with html'd sheets in them that are too large for the board...From what I can see, this is usually due to people posting code for sheets that had a lot of formatting on them. HTMLing such sheets takes a lot of code & frequently exceeds the length limit for posts...

So - questions:

1) What is the length limit for posts to the board?
2) Is it worth adding a remark to the 'read me' text in the addin to the effect 'don't post versions of sheets with lots of formatting' or some such...
3) If there is a definite limit to the lenght of posts, could we add a check to the html maker that would determine if the posted table would be too large for the board & throw up an appropriate warning message (e.g. "sheet might be too large to post to MrExcel - ditch some of the colours - they're pointless anyway!")

Paddy
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-08-26 18:56

Hi Paddy, there difinitly is a limit and when this limit is reached the code should tell the user ?? We have this in there now ?
Test it on your version 2.20, you should get a msgbox telling you...

Ivan,

see:

http://mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=20845&forum=10&0

using 2.20, no error messages about table size / code length while the html maker was doing it's thing?

I guess you were talking about the 30 rows*26 cols limit, rather than the number of lines of code that the htmlmaker creates?

Paddy
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-09-01 20:38
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-09-01 23:00

On 2002-09-01 20:35, PaddyD wrote:
Ivan,

see:

http://mrexcel.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=20845&forum=10&0

using 2.20, no error messages about table size / code length while the html maker was doing it's thing?

I guess you were talking about the 30 rows*26 cols limit, rather than the number of lines of code that the htmlmaker creates?

Paddy
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-09-01 20:38
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-09-01 23:00

No, there is a limit built in, perhaps it is less then the tests we did a while ago?
Look for the Const lngMaxChr As Long = 60000
Perhaps this may now need to be set lower ??
OR, was this a latter up date...will check as I actually Don't use 2.2 , am using the Xl2000 version.....let me check

Hi all,

PaddyD, I'll look into it...Maybe my update mistake...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back