Hub & Spoke Best practice

chrisco

I'm going to try to describe my situation and the solution I've come up with. I'm not sure it's the optimal solution so if there any best practices that I'm overlooking, please let me know.

Situation: My boss wants a consolidated P&L workbook(lets call it a "hub") showing multiple regions and business units. She also wants comments visible from specific regions or business units if selected. We have a team of employees who handle various regions independently and will require their own workbooks ("spokes").

My proposed solution: I've created the Consolidated P&L workbook using PowerQuery to pull from my source and manipulate it to the format required. I'm using Power Query to pull data in from a text file. I can use Power Query to reach out to each of the individual region workbooks and consolidate into one dataset for PowerPivot.

One of the challenges I'm facing is when setting up one of the "spoke" workbooks. For performance reasons and business reasons, I want to limit the dataset imported into that book to only the specific region. (I'm still using the original text file) I could set the parameter in PQ, but when setting up a new region, this would require changing the query which creates a nightmare in the data model. There are numerous relationships and formulas which get "blown up" if the dataset has to be disconnected and reconnected.
A solution I found was to use Power Query to create a field called Region in my dataset table and then use the table filter built into Power Pivot to only allow whatever region I choose to be imported.

Is there a better way to set up the "Spokes" so that if we were to acquire a new division/region, there would be a simple set up? I'm using Excel 2013 - 32 bit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheerfulWalker

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back