Query adding columns on browser version of Excel when refreshed

Curaga

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all!

I'm having an issue with a file I created. I was asked to create a dashboard to show some metrics across multiple tables (on multiple sheets), and the most efficient way that I found was using Power Query. I set up 2 queries to pull data from 2 different sets of tables. The method I used for creating these queries is from this site, because I'm not super familiar with Power Query. This includes using the work-around to prevent recursion and your data doubling every time you refresh it.

On the desktop version of Excel, it works great. Everything as intended. Refreshing does nothing. However, the person whom I made the file for uploads it to a shared drive where it is edited by multiple employees, so it ends up being hosted on the browser version of Excel. I believe that is where the issue lies. When the query is refreshed, usually not the first time but maybe the second or third, it adds columns. This then causes the formulas to all pull from the wrong column.

This is the queries sheet on desktop Excel, where it all shows correctly:

queries_correct.PNG

And here it is on the browser version, after being refreshed a few times:

queries_incorrect.PNG

So if I have a formula referencing the Customer column, after it refreshes and messes up the columns, it'll instead reference the S/O # column. I did check the table design settings on desktop Excel and "Preserve column sort/filter/layout" is checked, but on browser there are no settings for this. Is there a way to stop this from happening? Unfortunately my solution of "just re-paste the correct formula when refreshing messes it up" didn't seem to be popular when I suggested it.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back