Hyperlink to another sheet based on Today()

jblevins

Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Trying to create a dynamic hyperlink based on today's date to a cell in another sheet which has the abbreviated name of the month (ex. Jan). This does not work:
Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK(TEXT(Q3,"mmm")&"!"&"B2","test")

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I couldn't remember exactly how it would need to be written so I looked at excel's built in help file to see what it said about the HYPERLINK function and found this

Support page
=HYPERLINK("[Book1.xlsx]January!A10","Go to January > A10")To jump to a different location in the current worksheet, include both the workbook name, and worksheet name like this, where January is another worksheet in the workbook.

Upvote 0
I couldn't remember exactly how it would need to be written so I looked at excel's built in help file to see what it said about the HYPERLINK function and found this

Support page
=HYPERLINK("[Book1.xlsx]January!A10","Go to January > A10")To jump to a different location in the current worksheet, include both the workbook name, and worksheet name like this, where January is another worksheet in the workbook.
You have the location in the example and I want the formula to calculate the month (sheet name) from the current day (Today() or Now() function).

Upvote 0
If you read the information that I posted properly then you would have noticed that it says you need to include both the workbook name, and worksheet name.
The workbook name was not in the information that you supplied, it simply needs to be added to the formula in line with the example from the help file.

Upvote 0
I can add the workbook name, but I cannot add the worksheet name, it defeats the purpose in creating the link; that must be determined by the formula and if that can't be done, then the formula cannot be used.

Upvote 0
Here is what I got and it still fails (Reference is not valid), had to remove the quotes around "mmm":
Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("[Forever Calendar.xls]TEXT(Today(),mmm)&!B2","test")

Upvote 0
You were close
Excel Formula:
=HYPERLINK("[Forever Calendar.xls]"&TEXT(Today(),"mmm")&"!B2","test")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back