I have inherited an existing Query (I am s new user) so limted knowledge. Source data owner has changed a column name !

Beth369

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading this. I am a very new user trying to learn more about using Power Query. I'm in a new role and was handed over an exiting power query xls that uses data from another xls. The source comes in xls format from an external vendor. They recently changed one of the colum names but never told us. I was given the task of 'fixing this'.

Looking into it, there seems theres so much to learn. I would really appreciate some help on the best way to do this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 18.57.24.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 18.57.24.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
When you select a cell in the table, do you see these tabs on the right hand side of the ribbon?

1706814401171.png

Upvote 0
You can open the query in the advanced editor and look for "SPO Name" in the code, then change it to the new name.

Upvote 0
On the Query tab you should see an Edit button. Click that to open the PQ editor. On the left hand side will be a list of all the queries in the workbook (hopefully only one in your case!). Select the one of interest, and on the right hand side you should see the Applied Steps list - something like this:
1706871592139.png

The error almost certainly won't be in the Source step, but select each step below that in turn until you see a yellow error message in the middle section - e.g.:

1706871745603.png

Somewhere in the formula in the formula bar at the top, you will find a reference to the column that is now missing/renamed. Either remove it, or change it, as applicable and then press the tick mark on the left of the formula bar. Then move through the rest of the steps, checking for errors until you get to the final step. Hopefully all will now be fixed!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back