I need SUM help (pun intended)

alefein

Hello guys and girls,

My name is Alexander and I admit that my knowledge of Excel is very limited. I was wondering if any of you could possible help me with a problem. I have tried searching online but failed, mainly because I don't know exactly what to search for.

So here's the problem:
I have an Excel file with (probably tens of) thousands of rows, each of them representing a claim on a bank (this is for my Bachelor's thesis). I am mainly interested in two of the columns, the name of the claimant and the amount of each claim. But each claimant, e.g. ABC Ltd, might have tens or hundreds of claims. So what I've been doing is organizing claimants alphabetically, and using the much simple SUM function to figure out their total claim (and I collect this information on a second sheet). I have tens of these excel files, and after doing one of them using this method, it is impossible to finish in due time. It is way too tedious.

So I have to imagine that there's a function, where I would simply be able to do this all at once. Basically to have a new sheet were I would have the total amount of every single claimant, and then I could just organize them by size of claims, and see who the biggest claimants are.

I hope this is understandable, but I'll try to give an example to clarify.

Let's say we have three claimants, ABC, DEF and GHI. Each has three claims of 10 dollars.

My current method is oopening a new sheet and write ABC, DEF and GHI in each respective row and then use the SUM function in the column next to each one, to get the total amount of 30 next to each of them.. Easy with three, harder if multiplied by 1000.
If I could instead do some function, so simply the next sheet would "pop up" with these same results:
ABC 30
DEF 30
GHI 30
this would ridiculously time saving.

Do you guys know any way I could do this? All help would be really, really well appreciated!
Thank you so much in advance.

If anything needs further clarification, I'd be happy to try to be more specific.

Best regards,
Alexander from Iceland

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Thanks a lot Scott. When you mention it, I feel like I've heard about these before (Again, noob). I'll try to see if I can make this work, much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back