Identify and extract postcode from address

dianeblackfamily

I wonder can anyone help?

Column D contains a complete address eg
60 Braugham Road, Wallasey, Merseyside CH46 1LP

I would like to be able to extract the postcode into column E, and then the address into columns F, G, H etc so that I can use the data for mailmerge docs. Is there a forumula or a macro that can be used to identify and extract the postcode? The postcode will usually be either one or two letters with one or two numbers, then a number and two letters. eg it might be as above or B6 9XF etc.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hi Dianeblackfamily,

One way is to use "Text to Columns" option.

Other way is .. if your Zip code text is constant, like 8 characters including the space between CH46 1LP, then you can use the formula =RIGHT(D1,8)

Upvote 0
Thanks for these suggestions MGM. However, I dont think I can use text to columns to take off the postcode as there is not a comma or a full stop before the postcode - only a space. You might know a way to use text-to-columns for this?
The formula you suggest wouldn't work on each line as the postcode may be between 6 and 8 characters long and not all entries have a postcode (sorry, I should have mentioned this)

Upvote 0
Hi

There must be an easier solution, but in the mean time this works for the example given.
In column E:
=MID(D1,FIND("zzz",SUBSTITUTE(D1," ","zzz",SUMPRODUCT(1*((MID(D1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(D1))),1))=" "))-1))+1,LEN(D1))

In column F:
=LEFT(D1,FIND(",",D1,1)-1)

In column G:
=MID(D1,LEN(F1)+3,FIND(",",D1,LEN(F1)+2)-LEN(F1)-3)

In column H:
=MID(D1,LEN(F1&G1)+4,FIND(" ",D1,LEN(F1&G1)+5)-LEN(E1&F1&G1)+4)

Vidar

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder can anyone help?

Column D contains a complete address eg
60 Braugham Road, Wallasey, Merseyside CH46 1LP

I would like to be able to extract the postcode into column E, and then the address into columns F, G, H etc so that I can use the data for mailmerge docs. Is there a forumula or a macro that can be used to identify and extract the postcode? The postcode will usually be either one or two letters with one or two numbers, then a number and two letters. eg it might be as above or B6 9XF etc.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
In E1 to get the post code:
=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(D1)," ",REPT(" ",99)),2*99))

but can you post more examples?

Upvote 0
Thanks for these suggestions MGM. However, I dont think I can use text to columns to take off the postcode as there is not a comma or a full stop before the postcode - only a space. You might know a way to use text-to-columns for this?
The formula you suggest wouldn't work on each line as the postcode may be between 6 and 8 characters long and not all entries have a postcode (sorry, I should have mentioned this)
This code will extract the post code to column E and leave the balance of the address (without the post code) in column D for you to further decompose. Assumes your data begins in D2 - change code to suit:
Code:
Sub ExtractPostCode()
Dim lR As Long, R As Range, vA As Variant, rStr As String
lR = Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Set R = Range("D2", "D" & lR)
For Each c In R
    vA = Split(c.Value, " ")
    For i = LBound(vA) To UBound(vA)
        If vA(i) Like "[A-Z]*#*" Then
        c.Offset(0, 1).Value = vA(i) & " " & vA(i + 1)
        rStr = " " & c.Offset(0, 1).Value
        c.Replace rStr, ""
        Exit For
        End If
    Next i
Next c
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Vidar,
thanks for these formulas. Limited success however - when there is no postcode included in the address, the formula extracts part of the address instead. I can split the address Ok using text to columns once I have taken off the postcode, but it is just identifying and extracting the postcode that I am struggling with (although it would be nice to do it all with formulas, as you suggest)
Any more ideas?
These are they type of addresses that it didn't work on:
Stag Gates House, 63/64 The Avenue, Southampton
Matrix House, Mountview, Eastleigh, Hants

Thanks so much

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Give this a try. Put these formulas in the indicated cells and copy down...

E2: =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(D2,F2,""))

F2: =IF(ISNUMBER(-LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(" "&D2," ",REPT(" ",999)),999)))),TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(" "&D2," ",REPT(" ",999)),1998)),"")

Upvote 0
These solutions all seem quite complicated...
Is this a one-off task?

If so, I would
- Do text to columns with "," as the delimiting character
- On the most right column (
Merseyside CH46 1LP) do another text to columns and choose " " as the delimiting character

That should be it. Then, if you want, you can patch the post code together again with =C2&D2

Done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Joemo,
thanks for this code. A this has worked for the first 63 rows of data and then stopped. The first row that it has not extracted from is:
Messrs Placidi & Co, 31 Middle Road, Park Gate, Southampton SO31 7GH , which seems strange.
However, the macro gets a debug message highlighting c.Offset(0, 1).Value = vA(i) & " " & vA(i + 1) after stating Run time error 9
Subscript out of range, so this may have something to do with it?

Also for this address: Unit 9, M3 Trade Park, Manor Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO50 9YA it has extracted the postcode as M3 Trade

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back