Identify AND Tally Number of Instances over Multiple Rows and Columns: Due Tomorrow! Help!

GoF40

Hello... I have a spreadsheet of nearly 100,000 rows of data for work, from two spreadsheets combined into one. I'm new to Excel, but enjoy using it, not TOO incompetent - I've figured out how to answer most of my questions and have learned some great new formulas. But I'm stuck, and need an answer to a complex one! I have a feeling I'm making it more complicated than I am, so forgive the length of this. I don't know how to really explain it, but I'll try.

See below - I have three tables, and the info I need is from Table 3. I'm changing the facts slightly to protect my job, but the substance is the same. (I don't really work for Major League Baseball:))

Table 1: (5 Columns), A: Last Name, B: First Name, C: Middle Name, D: Shirt Number (#s), and E: Triple A team played for (a Triple A team will only ever be one of two teams: A12 or B12)

Table 2: (5 Columns), A: Last Name, B: First Name, C: Middle Name, D: Shirt Number (all #s), and E: Just shows that a Triple A player from Table 1 actually went pro with a single digit, "X" and it doesn't change

Table 3:(5 Columns) a single table comprised of all data from Table 1 and Table 2, and the table from which I have to get my answers. I can't get my answers from Table 1 or Table 2 individually, because I have to identify the commonalities between the two tables combined.

The Question I have to answer: I am identifying individuals, that is - from Table 3, how many players from Triple A (Table 1) actually went Pro (Table 2)?

Seems pretty straightforward. Of the nearly 100k rows of data I have in Table 3, we expect probably 10% of players in Table 3 at most will be found in BOTH Table 1 and Table 2. In other words, tons of people played Triple A, and tons more went pro - but our list of pro includes thousands of people who went pro that were never in Triple A. These are all real people, but the problem is actually identifying them and counting them. And I'm limited to the data, which came from a stat program, and it can't be changed: shirt number, triple A team, the digit showing they went pro, and three names...

Here is the realities with the data:

- Shirt #: good news: your shirt # is unique. Every name has it's own shirt number and it doesn't duplicate. Bad news: about 13k of the names from Triple A and Pros do not have shirt #s and must be identified by name.
- Triple A Team: good news: if you're in Triple A, the Team you played for is either A12 or B12 (Column 5). That's it, no exceptions.
- Pro Team: if you went pro, you're identified by the digit X (Column 5) - that's it, no exceptions.
- First, Middle, Last Names: Identifying by first, middle, and last name only is not enough, because due facts out of my control, the same individual may have their middle name included in Table 1, but not in Table 2; or the names are spelled slightly different. So even if you have the right person, you can't really search by first middle or last name in Table 3. But I will have to deal with this data limitation for the names without shirt numbers that went pro by trying to run a match by maybe just last name.

I hope this makes sense, it's been a long day! With everything above, is there any way to find the people who were in triple A that went Pro from Table 3? Or is it even possible? It's basically identifying the number of unique repeats over a series of columns over two rows (for the same person who was in triple A and went pro), and counting that "once." It would be really easy if it were just a few dozen lines to I... I think my strongest values are the Shirt #s, which identify individuals, and whether a shirt number that started as Team A12 or Team B12 became X at some point in Column 5?

Help! Much obliged in advance!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
I have a feeling I made this much more complicated than I needed.

I think I just need someone to tell me if it is possible to identify and count the number of duplicate instances of a row, when those two rows don't really have anything in common except maybe a single number.

Joe
John
Smith
X
Joe
John
Smith
A12 (or B12)

<tbody>
</tbody>

I would like to find every instance of the above, count it as "1", but in a table with thousands of lines, and count each instance into a total.

The problem is, because of my data, it could show up like this too

Joe
John
Smith

X
Joe

Smith
A12

<tbody>
</tbody>

If I found this visually, I would count it as "1". But how would I find this with a formula? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks anyone again for the time

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back