Identifying if any cell in a range meets criteria

pholt33

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have conditional formatting configured to identify when the current value is 0 or blank and the previous value is > 0. In the screenshot below, AN25 and AO25 are formula and result of the formatting for AM25.
Scrolling through hundreds or thousands of rows to find the highlighted cell is not sustainable.

What I would like is a formula that will identify if any cell in that row (e.g. B25:AM25) is 0 or blank and the previous date (cell to the left) has a value. How can I do that?

1695397521443.png

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try:
Excel Formula:
=AND(OR(AM25=0,AM25=""),AL25>0)

Upvote 0
Try:
Excel Formula:
=AND(OR(AM25=0,AM25=""),AL25>0)

That would look at only the prior period, I am trying to get something that will find if any period (for that row) meets the criteria.

Upvote 0
That would look at only the prior period, I am trying to get something that will find if any period (for that row) meets the criteria.
You want each value (in all your columns) to only look at the value to the immediate left of it, right?
If you select the ENTIRE range you want to apply the Conditional Formatting to, and then write the the formula as it applies to the very FIRST cell in your selection, Excel will automatically adjust the formula for all the other cells (just like when you copy a formula down a column or across rows).

So if your numbers were in the range B4:AM100, you would first select cells C4:AM100 and enter in this Conditional Formatting formula:
Excel Formula:
=AND(OR(C4=0,C4=""),B4>0)

Upvote 0
The conditional formatting works fine, that's not where I am having an issue.
I know the methodology will be different because you can't look up colors/formatting in a formula, but essentially I want to know whether any period is highlighted (i.e. meets the criteria).

This doesn't work but it is along the lines of what I want. =AND( OR( ISBLANK(B4:E4), B4:E4 = 0), B4:E4 > 0 )

A simplified example below. TRUE/FALSE in F:F are manual; that is the value I want to replicate with a formula.

1695405051797.png

1695405097780.png

Upvote 0
Maybe your examples above do not cover all the scenarios, but it seems to me like we could just count the number of entries greater than 0, and if it is less than the number of cells, it should return TRUE.
Or is this a scenario in which that might not work (please show what that example might look like)?

Upvote 0
This should work or at least get me a lot closer.

Thanks for your help!

1695409401297.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back