If a cell contains a string, return a value from an array

topi1

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
In the following great formula/example from @Eric W, is it possible to change the formula in B, where it will give results even if not separated by whitespace and delimiters. It will help if it at least ignores delimiters like ".", "?" and "!". Thank you.

Book1
ABC
27SampleOutputKey
28Red wine on the carpetRedRed
29Blue -like the color or the moodBlueBlue
30yellow -testing if capitalization mattersYellowYellow
31xxgreenxx if the string needs to be isolated by whitespace or delimitersno matchGreen
32RedRed
33BlueBlue
34GreenGreen
35YellowYellow
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B28:B35B28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(" "&$C$28:$C$35&" "," "&A2&" "),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Check if any of the 2 options are what you need:

Option 1:
varios 29ene2024.xlsm
ABC
27SampleOutputKey
31xxgreenxx if the string needs to be isolated by whitespace or delimitersGreenGreen
32RedRed
33BlueBlue
34GreenGreen
35YellowYellow
sh3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B28:B35B28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(IF($C$28:$C$35<>"",$C$28:$C$35),A28),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Option 2:
varios 29ene2024.xlsm
ABC
27SampleOutputKey
31xx green! if the string needs to be isolated by whitespace or delimitersGreenGreen
32RedRed
33BlueBlue
34GreenGreen
35YellowYellow
sh4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B28:B35B28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(" "&$C$28:$C$35&" "," "&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A28,"!",""),".",""),"?","")&" "),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")

Upvote 0
Solution
Using Excel for text tasks quite often gives results that are less than perfect and you have to settle for the one that best suits your purpose at the time. So here is yet another option using vba to provide a user-defined function. Post back if you need implementation instructions.
Differences (could be good or bad?) with this one include.
  1. Multiple Keys can be returned as in row 38 below. (Could be restricted to one if you wanted)
  2. The upper/lower case of the result comes from the string being tested, not the Key list like the above formula options. (This could be altered with a bit more work.)
  3. There must be no blank cells in the 'Key' range. (This could be allowed for with some more work)
  4. This function readily handles more (but possibly not all) punctuation-like delimiters. One extra example below is the 'no-space hyphen' in row 30
  5. The function can readily be made case-sensitive by including FALSE as the optional 3rd argument in the function as shown in column D
  6. I was not sure about your intention/desire with the xxgreenxx example you gave but assume that you probably would not want that matched otherwise you could get a lot of matches with short words like "red" since it can be part of many longer words. I gave one extra example in row 37.
I have included @DanteAmor's suggestions in columns E & F so that you can easily see the various differences between all our suggestions & perhaps help choose which (if any) are best for your circumstances.

VBA Code:
Function CheckKeys(s As String, rKeys As Range, Optional bIgnoreCase As Boolean = True) As String
  Dim RX As Object, m As Object

Set RX = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
  RX.Global = True
  RX.IgnoreCase = bIgnoreCase
  RX.Pattern = "\b(" & Join(Application.Transpose(rKeys), "|") & ")\b"
  For Each m In RX.Execute(s)
    CheckKeys = CheckKeys & ", " & m
  Next m
  If Len(CheckKeys) = 0 Then
    CheckKeys = "no match"
  Else
    CheckKeys = Mid(CheckKeys, 3)
  End If
End Function

topi1_2.xlsm
ABCDEF
27SampleOutputKey
28Red wine on the carpetRedRedRedRedRed
29Blue -like the color or the moodBlueBlueBlueBlueBlue
30Blue-like the color or the moodBlueYellowBlueBlueno match
31yellow -testing if capitalization mattersyellowGreenno matchYellowYellow
32xxgreenxx if the string needs to be isolated by whitespace or delimitersno matchno matchGreenno match
33RedRedRedRedRed
34BlueBlueBlueBlueBlue
35GreenGreenGreenGreenGreen
36YellowYellowYellowYellowYellow
37Tom is unpredicatbleno matchno matchRedno match
38Blue, green & Red has several keysBlue, green, RedBlue, RedGreenGreen
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D28:D38D28=CheckKeys(A28,C$28:C$31, FALSE)
E28:E38E28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(IF($C$28:$C$35<>"",$C$28:$C$35),A28),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")
F28:F38F28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(" "&$C$28:$C$35&" "," "&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A28,"!",""),".",""),"?","")&" "),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")
B28:B38B28=CheckKeys(A28,C$28:C$31)

Upvote 0
Check if any of the 2 options are what you need:

Option 1:
varios 29ene2024.xlsm
ABC
27SampleOutputKey
31xxgreenxx if the string needs to be isolated by whitespace or delimitersGreenGreen
32RedRed
33BlueBlue
34GreenGreen
35YellowYellow
sh3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B28:B35B28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(IF($C$28:$C$35<>"",$C$28:$C$35),A28),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Option 2:
varios 29ene2024.xlsm
ABC
27SampleOutputKey
31xx green! if the string needs to be isolated by whitespace or delimitersGreenGreen
32RedRed
33BlueBlue
34GreenGreen
35YellowYellow
sh4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B28:B35B28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(" "&$C$28:$C$35&" "," "&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A28,"!",""),".",""),"?","")&" "),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")
@DanteAmor Thank you so much. I will likely be able to use both options. Work great.

Upvote 0
Using Excel for text tasks quite often gives results that are less than perfect and you have to settle for the one that best suits your purpose at the time. So here is yet another option using vba to provide a user-defined function. Post back if you need implementation instructions.
Differences (could be good or bad?) with this one include.
  1. Multiple Keys can be returned as in row 38 below. (Could be restricted to one if you wanted)
  2. The upper/lower case of the result comes from the string being tested, not the Key list like the above formula options. (This could be altered with a bit more work.)
  3. There must be no blank cells in the 'Key' range. (This could be allowed for with some more work)
  4. This function readily handles more (but possibly not all) punctuation-like delimiters. One extra example below is the 'no-space hyphen' in row 30
  5. The function can readily be made case-sensitive by including FALSE as the optional 3rd argument in the function as shown in column D
  6. I was not sure about your intention/desire with the xxgreenxx example you gave but assume that you probably would not want that matched otherwise you could get a lot of matches with short words like "red" since it can be part of many longer words. I gave one extra example in row 37.
I have included @DanteAmor's suggestions in columns E & F so that you can easily see the various differences between all our suggestions & perhaps help choose which (if any) are best for your circumstances.

VBA Code:
Function CheckKeys(s As String, rKeys As Range, Optional bIgnoreCase As Boolean = True) As String
  Dim RX As Object, m As Object

Set RX = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
  RX.Global = True
  RX.IgnoreCase = bIgnoreCase
  RX.Pattern = "\b(" & Join(Application.Transpose(rKeys), "|") & ")\b"
  For Each m In RX.Execute(s)
    CheckKeys = CheckKeys & ", " & m
  Next m
  If Len(CheckKeys) = 0 Then
    CheckKeys = "no match"
  Else
    CheckKeys = Mid(CheckKeys, 3)
  End If
End Function

topi1_2.xlsm
ABCDEF
27SampleOutputKey
28Red wine on the carpetRedRedRedRedRed
29Blue -like the color or the moodBlueBlueBlueBlueBlue
30Blue-like the color or the moodBlueYellowBlueBlueno match
31yellow -testing if capitalization mattersyellowGreenno matchYellowYellow
32xxgreenxx if the string needs to be isolated by whitespace or delimitersno matchno matchGreenno match
33RedRedRedRedRed
34BlueBlueBlueBlueBlue
35GreenGreenGreenGreenGreen
36YellowYellowYellowYellowYellow
37Tom is unpredicatbleno matchno matchRedno match
38Blue, green & Red has several keysBlue, green, RedBlue, RedGreenGreen
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D28:D38D28=CheckKeys(A28,C$28:C$31, FALSE)
E28:E38E28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(IF($C$28:$C$35<>"",$C$28:$C$35),A28),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")
F28:F38F28=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH(" "&$C$28:$C$35&" "," "&SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A28,"!",""),".",""),"?","")&" "),$C$28:$C$35),"no match")
B28:B38B28=CheckKeys(A28,C$28:C$31)
@Peter_SSs I am using 2010 and could not use checkkeys but am planning to get 365 and will try. I like the idea of getting several keys. I could not find a way to run VBA. Thank you for all your time.

Upvote 0
@DanteAmor I am hoping that if the string in the column A has multiple keys from column C, The formula in the column B shows the first key. I couldn't modify the formula to achieve that. Didn't realize that the original formula does that. Help please! Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
In the following example, why am I getting inconsistent results?In B28 and B32, I am getting second key. In B30 and B33 I get first key. If the formula yield only one of the keys present in the string, I always want the first key. TY.

Book1
ABC
27SampleOutputKey
28Red wine on the blue carpetBlueRed
30yellow -testing if capitalization matters or redYellowYellow
32Red & blueBlue
33Blue & redBlue
34GreenGreen
35YellowYellow
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula

Upvote 0
@Peter_SSs I am using 2010 and could not use checkkeys but am planning to get 365 and will try. I like the idea of getting several keys. I could not find a way to run VBA. Thank you for all your time.
There should be no reason that you cannot use that udf with 2010. It does not require 365.
To implement ..
1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".
2. In the Visual Basic window use the menu to Insert|Module
3. Copy and Paste the code below (you can use the icon at the top right of the code pane below) into the main right hand pane that opens at step 2.
4. Close the Visual Basic window.
5. Enter the formula as shown in the screen shot in my previous post and copy down.
6. Your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm)

why am I getting inconsistent results?In B28 and B32,
It isn't inconsistent. In each case those formulas return the key that is furthest down the list if keys in column C.

I always want the first key
Just confirm whether you want the first key (left to right) found in the text in col A or the first key (top to bottom) from col C that is found in col A.

Upvote 0
There should be no reason that you cannot use that udf with 2010. It does not require 365.
To implement ..
1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".
2. In the Visual Basic window use the menu to Insert|Module
3. Copy and Paste the code below (you can use the icon at the top right of the code pane below) into the main right hand pane that opens at step 2.
4. Close the Visual Basic window.
5. Enter the formula as shown in the screen shot in my previous post and copy down.
6. Your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm)

It isn't inconsistent. In each case those formulas return the key that is furthest down the list if keys in column C.

Just confirm whether you want the first key (left to right) found in the text in col A or the first key (top to bottom) from col C that is found in col A.
@Peter_SSs I want the first key (left to right) found in the text in col A. The order of keys in the column C is not relevant to me. Contents of column C will change and are random. I want the formula in the cell Bn want to read the string in the cell An from left to right and yield the first word it finds that is present in the column c, regardless of what order it is in the column C and what follows that word in the rest of the string in An. Thak you so much continuing to help.

Upvote 0
@Peter_SSs Made it work. Reviewing. B looks promising. It looks like it reads A from left to right. Need to strip the first word out. Will work on it and follow up. ty.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back