If and AND function

DeekMan

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon,
I have created a formula using IF & AND functions, it seems rather long winded, is there a more elagant way of writing this formula.

The job is to put an answer in C1 (it will be a column in the final sheet) based on the two answers in A1 and A2, the formula does work, and I did try adding the OR function, but unfortunatly I managed to get myself lost.

Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(A1="Low",B1="Unlikely"),"Broardly Acceptable Risk",IF(AND(A1="Low",B1="Possible"),"Broardly Acceptable Risk",IF(AND(A1="Med",B1="Unlikely"),"Broardly Acceptable Risk",IF(AND(A1="Low",B1="Likely"),"Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)",IF(AND(A1="Med",B1="Possible"),"Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)",IF(AND(A1="High",B1="Unlikely"),"Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)",IF(AND(A1="Med",B1="Likely"),"Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)",IF(AND(A1="High",B1="Possible"),"Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)",IF(AND(A1="High",B1="Likely"),"Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)")))))))))

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Excel Snip.png
    Excel Snip.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
a few ways to do that
but as you have mentioned OR
try

=IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Unlikely"),AND(A1="Low",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Unlikely")),"Broardly Acceptable Risk",
IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Unlikely")),"Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)",
IF(OR(AND(A1="Med",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="High",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Likely")),"Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)","if all false")))

Grouping the common TRUE outputs together

you may want a FALSE condition , as i have shown , otherwise you just get FALSE in the cell if none met

Not sure how to apply to the image, as i'm not sure what results you are looking for where , doesnt seem to match with the IF() formula you added

do you want to lookup - whatever is put into a1 and b1 - then the table you have could be used , if you just put the words into a column and the result - i'll try an mock something up and post a new reply

may be able to use the TABLE to lookup values - rather than the Nested IF() - which will mean any changes are much easier

depending on version of excel - maybe other ways

what version do you have - would be worth updating your profile

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which means I may make an error, which is very time consuming, and from my point of view less likely to get a response, if a complicated spreadsheet. Plus we cannot see any of the formulas used.

Therefore -

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

This will possibly enable a quicker and more accurate solution for you.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC

then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share

I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Make sure you set any share or google to share to everyone

Last edited:
Upvote 1
in C1 on my example is the IF
=IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Unlikely"),AND(A1="Low",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Unlikely")),"Broardly Acceptable Risk",
IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Unlikely")),"Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)",
IF(OR(AND(A1="Med",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="High",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Likely")),"Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)","if all false")))

in D1 in my example is the lookup - with an added column to the table
=INDEX($I$4:$I$12,MATCH(A1&B1,$G$4:$G$12&$H$4:$H$12,0))

Book14
ABCDEFGHIJ
1highlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
2if all false#N/A
3lowunlikelyBroardly Acceptable RiskBroardly Acceptable Risk
4lowpossibleBroardly Acceptable RiskBroardly Acceptable RisklowunlikelyBroardly Acceptable Risk
5lowlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)lowpossibleBroardly Acceptable Risk
6medunlikelyBroardly Acceptable RiskBroardly Acceptable RisklowlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)
7medpossibleIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)medunlikelyBroardly Acceptable Risk
8medlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)medpossibleIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)
9highunlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)medlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
10highpossibleSignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)highunlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)
11highlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)highpossibleSignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
12highlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C11C1=IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Unlikely"),AND(A1="Low",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Unlikely")),"Broardly Acceptable Risk", IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Unlikely")),"Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)", IF(OR(AND(A1="Med",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="High",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Likely")),"Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)","if all false")))
D1:D11D1=INDEX($I$4:$I$12,MATCH(A1&B1,$G$4:$G$12&$H$4:$H$12,0))

Upvote 1
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

I have abbreviated some of the result texts but you can fill them out if this does what you want.

23 05 21.xlsm
ABC
1HighPossibleSignificant
2HighUnlikelyIntermediate
3HighLikelySignificant
4LowPossibleBroadly Acceptable
5LowUnlikelyBroadly Acceptable
6LowLikelyIntermediate
7MediumPossibleIntermediate
8MediumUnlikelyBroadly Acceptable
9MediumLikelySignificant
DeekMan
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C9C1=LOOKUP(MATCH(A1,{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH(B1,{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})

Upvote 1
Solution
a few ways to do that
but as you have mentioned OR
try

Grouping the common TRUE outputs together

you may want a FALSE condition , as i have shown , otherwise you just get FALSE in the cell if none met

Not sure how to apply to the image, as i'm not sure what results you are looking for where , doesnt seem to match with the IF() formula you added

do you want to lookup - whatever is put into a1 and b1 - then the table you have could be used , if you just put the words into a column and the result - i'll try an mock something up and post a new reply

may be able to use the TABLE to lookup values - rather than the Nested IF() - which will mean any changes are much easier

depending on version of excel - maybe other ways

what version do you have - would be worth updating your profile

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which means I may make an error, which is very time consuming, and from my point of view less likely to get a response, if a complicated spreadsheet. Plus we cannot see any of the formulas used.

Therefore -

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

This will possibly enable a quicker and more accurate solution for you.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC

then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share

I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Make sure you set any share or google to share to everyone
Many thanks for your solution. I can see now where I was going wrong with the OR & AND, I had =IF(OR(AND(A1xxxxxxxxxxx) but didnt have the extra AND between the next (A1xxxxxxxxxx) I have tried your solution and it works fine. Thnak You.

Upvote 0
in C1 on my example is the IF

in D1 in my example is the lookup - with an added column to the table
=INDEX($I$4:$I$12,MATCH(A1&B1,$G$4:$G$12&$H$4:$H$12,0))

Book14
ABCDEFGHIJ
1highlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
2if all false#N/A
3lowunlikelyBroardly Acceptable RiskBroardly Acceptable Risk
4lowpossibleBroardly Acceptable RiskBroardly Acceptable RisklowunlikelyBroardly Acceptable Risk
5lowlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)lowpossibleBroardly Acceptable Risk
6medunlikelyBroardly Acceptable RiskBroardly Acceptable RisklowlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)
7medpossibleIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)medunlikelyBroardly Acceptable Risk
8medlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)medpossibleIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)
9highunlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)medlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
10highpossibleSignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)highunlikelyIntermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)
11highlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)highpossibleSignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
12highlikelySignificant Risk: (Not Acceptable)
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C11C1=IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Unlikely"),AND(A1="Low",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Unlikely")),"Broardly Acceptable Risk", IF(OR(AND(A1="Low",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="Med",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Unlikely")),"Intermediate Risk: (Acceptable if SFAIRP)", IF(OR(AND(A1="Med",B1="Likely"),AND(A1="High",B1="Possible"),AND(A1="High",B1="Likely")),"Significant Risk: (Not Acceptable)","if all false")))
D1:D11D1=INDEX($I$4:$I$12,MATCH(A1&B1,$G$4:$G$12&$H$4:$H$12,0))
Good Afternoon, Thank you for your solution - I hadn't thought about a lookup table. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

I have abbreviated some of the result texts but you can fill them out if this does what you want.

23 05 21.xlsm
ABC
1HighPossibleSignificant
2HighUnlikelyIntermediate
3HighLikelySignificant
5LowUnlikelyBroadly Acceptable
6LowLikelyIntermediate
7MediumPossibleIntermediate
8MediumUnlikelyBroadly Acceptable
9MediumLikelySignificant
DeekMan
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C9C1=LOOKUP(MATCH(A1,{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH(B1,{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})
I have updated my profile, as you suggested.
This is looks to be a very simple formula, but it does every thing that I need. I have never used "match" before. I am assuming that the lookup element is is using the data within the { } , I am not sure what the },0) zero is for, likewise I dont know what the ,{2,4,5}, is for. but I do know it works.
Many thanks.

Upvote 0
I have updated my profile, as you suggested.
Thanks for doing that. (y)

To explain the formula look at this example from my earlier post.

23 05 21.xlsm
ABC
DeekMan
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C4C4=LOOKUP(MATCH(A4,{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH(B4,{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})

=LOOKUP(MATCH(A4,{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH(B4,{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})
=LOOKUP(MATCH("Low",{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH("Possible",{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})
The MATCH is looking for the underlined word within the { } and returns the position it is found. The ,0 at the end of the MATCH tells the MATCH to look for an exact match.
So the blue match returns 1 since "Low" is the first word in the blue curly brackets and the red match returns 2 since "Possible" is the second word in the red curly brackets.
The formula then becomes
=LOOKUP(1+2,{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})
=LOOKUP(3,{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})

LOOKUP looks for 3 in the first curly brackets (Which must be in ascending order). It cannot find a 3 in this case so it returns the next lowest number that is in the brackets, which is 2.
2 is in the first position in the first brackets so LOOKUP returns the value from the first position in the second brackets: "Broadly Acceptable"

Upvote 0
Thanks for doing that. (y)

To explain the formula look at this example from my earlier post.

23 05 21.xlsm
ABC
DeekMan
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C4C4=LOOKUP(MATCH(A4,{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH(B4,{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})

=LOOKUP(MATCH(A4,{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH(B4,{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})
=LOOKUP(MATCH("Low",{"Low","Medium","High"},0)+MATCH("Possible",{"Unlikely","Possible","Likely"},0),{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})
The MATCH is looking for the underlined word within the { } and returns the position it is found. The ,0 at the end of the MATCH tells the MATCH to look for an exact match.
So the blue match returns 1 since "Low" is the first word in the blue curly brackets and the red match returns 2 since "Possible" is the second word in the red curly brackets.
The formula then becomes
=LOOKUP(1+2,{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})
=LOOKUP(3,{2,4,5},{"Broadly Acceptable","Intermediate","Significant"})

LOOKUP looks for 3 in the first curly brackets (Which must be in ascending order). It cannot find a 3 in this case so it returns the next lowest number that is in the brackets, which is 2.
2 is in the first position in the first brackets so LOOKUP returns the value from the first position in the second brackets: "Broadly Acceptable"
Peter,

Many thanks for the explanation. This is very clever.
Sorry for the delay in responding, its been a busy week.

Deek.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back