If File Exists, WITHOUT VBA

MarkBoy

Board Regular
My searching has proven that there are hundreds of threads across the net dedicated to how to use VBA to check whether or not a file exists. However, for my current purpose I really need this to be a cell-based formula.

Is this acheivable at all? I don't need to create the file or anything complicated, I just need to know if it's there...

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Ok, that seems to be the startings of a good solution, but I keep getting #VALUE errors.

I have created a module with the following code:

Code:
Function ifexist(Target As String) As String
ifexist = Dir(Target)
End Function

and the worksheet formula:

Code:
=IF(ifexist(TEXT("C:\Users\DEFAULT\Pictures\BatchPictures\" & G2 & ".jpg",)),TEXT(G2 & ".jpg",),"")

Any ideas what might be wrong with my implementation?

FYI, I have tried a more basic implementation of the formula, which has also failed, but as above is how I would like it eventually implemented. The basic version which failed was:

Code:
=IF(ifexist("C:\Users\DEFAULT\Pictures\BatchPictures\1783756.jpg"),"TRUE","FALSE")

Upvote 0
Yes, the function you are using is returning a string, the expectation would be that if it returned "" the file would not exist. You are using the function as if it were returning a Boolean value, and the modification to use it that way is here:

Code:
Function ifexist(Target As String) As Boolean
Application.Volatile
ifexist = (Dir(Target) <> "")
End Function

You also don't need the TEXT function:

=IF(ifexist("C:\Users\DEFAULT\Pictures\BatchPictures\" & G2 & ".jpg"),G2 & ".jpg","")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perfect - works like a charm!

Thanks for all the help. My brain was just refusing to Debug this morning.

Upvote 0
Ok - One more problem!

It all works fine, but for some reason, the formulae don't update. It shows correctly that the file isn't there, but when I put the file there, it doesn't update to show that it is. Recalculating doesn't fix it either, and neither does saving, closing, and reopening, which would usually force a full recalculation. However, if I edit the formula, don't alter it, and press Enter, then it DOES update.

Any idea how I can have this happening automatically? It doesn't have to be instantaneous, but having to edit every formula every time isn't satisfactory...

Upvote 0
I had edited the post earlier to account for that, see above. You then hit F9 to recalculate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back