IF < [RED] or IF > [GREEN]

Brad1m

I dunno guys, I could spend my life looking through all the videos in excelisfun and mrexcel, they are awesome but I just dont have the time nor the knowledge to know what function I am looking for???

I would like the Text or should I say number in certain Cells be RED if its below the value of Cell D3 and GREEN if its above the value of cell D3.

I have looked through IF and Boolean stuff but just can't piece it all together and probably barking up the wrong tree all together.

Help again please guys...

:confused:

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
That's conditional formatting..

What if the value is actually = D3 ? Is that another color?
Or perhaps
< Red
> or = Green

Also, what version of Excel?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply jonmo1

Pretty sure its excel 2007

and if the value is the same as D3 it can be green which will mean break even.

Red is meant to indicate loss and green is meant to indicate profit.

Some tools in the shed are sharp, I'm more like the head of a hammer...:LOL:

Upvote 0
Brad,

Condition formatting is very simplistic. Anyone that understands <, >, and = to can do it without any knowledge of coding. If you haven't figured out what jonmo1 is talking about, condition formatting is under the Format menu in Excel.

Set the two conditions to what Jonmo1 said and your quandry is solved.

Upvote 0
Thanks Desu Nota from Columbus,

I don't want to come across as insubordinate but I don't think conditional formatting is what I am looking for???

Seems like it will highlight the cells and all I want to do is highlight the text or numbers in the cells

I will do my best to explain.

Lets say I buy option contracts with a value of 42c and at that price I can afford 11 contracts with a total value of $4,620.00 ($4,620 is in cell D3)

If the option price falls below .42 then every number below .42 or simply 42 will be RED
eg; 415*11 = $4,565.00
410*11 = $4,510.00 and so on

When the number is equal to or above the value $4620.00 then it's green this column will start with value 0.000 and run through the 42 and all the way to 10.000 or more

Some options may cost 550.000 in cent values.

MAN? Am I making any sense at all????

Upvote 0
=A11*1000*C$8 Gives the appropriate figures to work with, so I'm thinking something like this

=IF((A11*1000*C8)<C8,[Red],(A11*1000*C8)>C8,[Green]

Might do what I want???

Can anyone help me sort this out, I have seen it done but don't know how to do it myself?

Upvote 0
=A11*1000*C$8 Gives the appropriate figures to work with, so I'm thinking something like this

=IF((A11*1000*C8)<c8,[red],(a11*1000*c8)>C8,[Green]

Might do what I want???

Can anyone help me sort this out, I have seen it done but don't know how to do it myself?

I meant =IF(A11*1000*C8)<<c8),[red],((a11*1000*c8)>C8,[RED],(A11*1000*C8)>C8,[GREEN]

Just bungling my way through.</c8),[red],((a11*1000*c8)></c8,[red],(a11*1000*c8)>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Guys: Should have listened to you from the start, the answer was in cond formatting... I just couldn't work out how to use it.

Too many choices and not enough knowledge... :eek::eek:

Got there in the end (couple of hrs and a few carefully chosen words later) lol

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back