IF with two criteria and dates

ERC2

I have a fairly easy question seeking an elegant solution that exceeds my excel knowledge. I have the date of birth of a number of students. I want to know the students that are born in either September, October, November, or December. I also want to know if the students born in those months only had been held back.

The inelegant way I tried to solve the problem went as follows. I created a column where I identfied which students were born Sept-Dec. I used a simple if formula. I do not know how to do the next step.

It would be something like, if a student is born in the months Sept-Dec and are roughly the same age as the other students, they were not held back. If they were born the year before, they were held back. We would expect students born in these months to be the youngest in their grade because we have a Jan 1 enrollment date. I have a column which tells me the grade of all my studets which should help.

Any advice? Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
If the birthday is in A2 then the following will give a “TRUE” if born in Sep-Dec and a “False” if not (enter the year you want to view in place of ####)

=IF(AND(MONTH(A2)>8,YEAR(####)),TRUE,FALSE)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aaronbens, Thank you for your reply. I wrote exactly what you put in and it does not work. Could you go over the syntax. I think I am fine with the first part where it gets the month from the DOB in A2 I then write year and put the year I want (in this case it is 2007) in parens. How does it know the YEAR is in A2? From the earlier part of the formula?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rory Calhoun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back