Ignore data within parentheses from formula

Niall19

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

So, I'm quite the novice when it comes to excel formulae so any help would be greatly appreciated. This is probably very straightforward but I would like "Remaining volume" in cell "G3" to substract the values in "J3", "K3" and "L3" from the value in "I3", crucially, ignoring the data within the parentheses. Is this possible and if so, could a kind soul offer some advice on how to achieve this?
REMAINING VOLUME (µL)INITIAL QUANTITY RECEIVED (mg)INITIAL QUANTITY (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)
SUM of initial quantity minus all quantity used, ignoring parentheses.
10000​
10000​
100 (19SEP22)127 (23SEP22)120 (26SEP22)
G3^​
H3^​
I3^​
J3^​
K3^ L3 ^

Kind regards,
Niall

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Fluff.xlsm
GHIJKL
2REMAINING VOLUME (µL)INITIAL QUANTITY RECEIVED (mg)INITIAL QUANTITY (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)
396531000010000100 (19SEP22)127 (23SEP22)120 (26SEP22)
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G3G3=I3-SUM(--TEXTSPLIT(J3:L3,"("))

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Fluff.xlsm
GHIJKL
2REMAINING VOLUME (µL)INITIAL QUANTITY RECEIVED (mg)INITIAL QUANTITY (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)QUANTITY USED (µL)
396531000010000100 (19SEP22)127 (23SEP22)120 (26SEP22)
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G3G3=I3-SUM(--TEXTSPLIT(J3:L3,"("))
Hi,
Thank you for the assistance! I've tried this formula but unfortunately it's throwing up a "#NAME?" error. I'm sure this is something I am doing wrong. Any ideas as to what that might be?

Niall

Attachments

• 1670947687407.png
    1670947687407.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0
Hi, try this formula for G3

=I3-IF(IFERROR(SEARCH("(",J3),0)=0,J3,LEFT(J3,SEARCH("(",J3)-1))-IF(IFERROR(SEARCH("(",K3),0)=0,K3,LEFT(K3,SEARCH("(",K3)-1))-IF(IFERROR(SEARCH("(",L3),0)=0,L3,LEFT(L3,SEARCH("(",L3)-1))

Upvote 0
I'm sure this is something I am doing wrong
Nope, you probably don't have the Textsplit function yet.
How about
Excel Formula:
=I3-SUM(FILTERXML("<k><m>"&TEXTJOIN("</m><m>",,SUBSTITUTE(J3:L3," ","</m><m>"))&"</m></k>","//m"))

Upvote 0
Solution
Nope, you probably don't have the Textsplit function yet.
How about
Excel Formula:
=I3-SUM(FILTERXML("<k><m>"&TEXTJOIN("</m><m>",,SUBSTITUTE(J3:L3," ","</m><m>"))&"</m></k>","//m"))
This is really cool! Thank you so much for this solution.

Take care!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.
Just one more thing which would be great to find a solution for, not a requirement but it would tidy up the appearance of the spreadsheet - The formula/column "G" cells which are blank (no entries made yet) are showing up the "#VALUE!" error message.

Would there be a way to write something into the formula to show these cells as blank or 0 when they haven't yet been filled in, but still have the formula applied in advance? Sorry for another novice level question!

Kind regards,
Niall

Upvote 0
Try

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(I3-SUM(FILTERXML("<k><m>"&TEXTJOIN("</m><m>",,SUBSTITUTE(J3:L3," ","</m><m>"))&"</m></k>","//m")),"")

Upvote 0
Hi, try this formula for G3

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(I3),ISBLANK(J3),ISBLANK(K3),ISBLANK(L3)),0,I3-IF(IFERROR(SEARCH("(",J3),0)=0,J3,LEFT(J3,SEARCH("(",J3)-1))-IF(IFERROR(SEARCH("(",K3),0)=0,K3,LEFT(K3,SEARCH("(",K3)-1))-IF(IFERROR(SEARCH("(",L3),0)=0,L3,LEFT(L3,SEARCH("(",L3)-1)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back