Ignoring an Unused Tolerance Cell in a Formula

innoin

I've searched the web...but I have no idea how exactly to describe the problem I'm having simply enough. I have a template built for checking hundreds of different conditions. It's basically a template used to check temperatures, pressure, heat up rates, cool down rates, and dozens of other features for a giant oven. Some of my formulas have gotten quite complex. It took me weeks to build this template and now I have to create 125 more...I started out by trying to update every single formula in the template and then auto-filling them, but it just takes way too long to make sure they are all correct, and every single template is going to have different conditions. I decided to just create a tolerance tab and have every cell reference a bunch of cells on this tab. Some templates will have a minimum and maximum heat up while some will only have a maximum...while others will have neither. I want to keep all my ridiculous formulas the same, but I want them to just ignore certain portions of themselves if the tolerance isn't used (or if only one side of the tolerance is used).

For example, I have this formula in cell W3 (by far the shortest and simplest formula in my workbook): "IF(ISBLANK(TData!E1),"Removed",IF(AND(W4>=Tolerances!$B$23,W4<=Tolerances!$C$23),"Pass","Fail"))"

In that formula I want the cell to read "Removed" if there's no data on the TData tab. This works fine. Cell W4 is the sum of all the cells below it. I want the cell to read "Pass" if cell W4 is between the tolerances of the cells listed on the Tolerances tab. The first template I built had an upper and lower tolerance (Tolerances tab cells B23 and C23 respectively). I had no problems with that one. The one I'm currently building only has a lower tolerance (entered in B23 of the Tolerances tab). I tried leaving cell C23 blank, entering "#N/A", and "#NA(). Leaving it blank automatically gives a "Fail" even when it should be passing. Entering #N/A just make #N/A appear instead of "Pass" or "Fail". Entering #N/A() seemingly allows the formula to work correctly.

The problem: Certain other cells won't work with #N/A().

For example, this formula: "IF(ISNA(Heat_Up_3!C2),"Removed",IF(AND(Heat_Up_3!C2>=Tolerances!$B$4,Heat_Up_3!C2<=Tolerances!$C$4), "Pass", "Fail"))". For some reason, this shows as fail when it shouldn't if I enter "#N/A()" on the tolerances tab for B4. But! If I leave it blank, it seems to work fine! What am I doing wrong!? I want this to be consistent! I feel like I just sparked my brain out from weeks of staring at formulas, but I cannot figure out why entering #N/A() works with some formulas, but not others. Anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe altered formulas I could try for the examples I gave?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
try this, this should cover either the Low/High limit missing, or both

Book1
AB
1LowHigh
4TestResult
515Pass
65Fail
740Fail
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5:B7B5=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A$2),ISBLANK($B$2)),"",IF(ISBLANK($A$2),IF(A5<=$B$2,"Pass","Fail"),IF(ISBLANK($B$2),IF(A5>=$A$2,"Pass","Fail"),IF(AND(A5>=$A$2,A5<=$B$2),"Pass","Fail"))))

Book1
AB
1LowHigh
4TestResult
515Pass
65Fail
740Pass
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5:B7B5=IF(AND(ISBLANK($A$2),ISBLANK($B$2)),"",IF(ISBLANK($A$2),IF(A5<=$B$2,"Pass","Fail"),IF(ISBLANK($B$2),IF(A5>=$A$2,"Pass","Fail"),IF(AND(A5>=$A$2,A5<=$B$2),"Pass","Fail"))))

Book1
AB
1LowHigh
4TestResult
515Pass
65Pass
740Fail
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula

Book1
AB
1LowHigh
4TestResult
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back