I'll admit it... I'm stumped!! Need hierarchy help.

CyrusTheVirus

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This is the first time in my professional career that I am unable to figure out how to use features/formulas (i've never needed VBA, until maybe now) in order to solve a problem.

Basically i need to create a certain formatted hierarchical structure based on the below table. I need each supervisor to be listed in their parent's list horizontally (like the 2nd table below). If you see Joe, he oversees Paul and Karen who over see other managers, but i only want managers listed if they in fact oversee employees. For instance, Tom and Jerry don't oversee anyone, so they will be excluded from the list.

I've heard this is near impossible to do with formulas, and would be much easier be done by VBA. I'm at a loss... so, who can help with this one? Please let me know of any questions.

SupervisorEmployee
JoePaul
JoeKaren
PaulTom
PaulJerry
KarenTony
KarenMary
KarenTerry
KarenSam
MaryAndrew
TerrySamantha

<tbody>
</tbody>

Need it to turn into...

SupervisorOversees ManagerOversees ManagerOversees ManagerOversees Manager
JoePaulKarenMaryTerry
Paul
KarenMaryTerry
Mary
Terry

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Hi Cyrus,

This is extracting each employee across columns per each supervisor, is this ok?

Book1
ABCDE
1SupervisorEmployee
2JoePaul
3JoeKaren
4PaulTom
5PaulJerry
6KarenTony
7KarenMary
8KarenTerry
9KarenSam
10MaryAndrew
11TerrySamantha
14SupervisorOversees ManagerOversees ManagerOversees ManagerOversees Manager
15JoePaulKaren
16PaulTomJerry
17KarenTonyMaryTerrySam
18MaryAndrew
19TerrySamantha
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B15{=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$11,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$11=$A15,ROW($A$2:$A$11)-ROW($A$2)+1),COLUMNS($B$15:B15))),"")}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
This is an interesting problem. I may not come back to this but am thinking about it...

UPDATE: Oops! Too late!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Rasghul,

Unfortunately that does not work. I'm looking for only managers. Your table should match my second. Please refer to my explanation and let me know of any questions. I wish it were that simple.

Upvote 0
Hey Special, fyi this hasn't yet been answered, so if you want to give it a shot, good luck and i'll appreciate an answer. i've beat my head against the wall for 4 hours and cannot come up with a formulaic solution. I THINK VBA is necessary, but not certain.

Upvote 0
Hello CyrusTheVirus,

Hierarchies are built on relationships between the members. There needs to be information specific to each member before a hierarchy can be established. Your post does not have enough information to clearly define the relationships. In all hierarchies ther is a starting point or root. Here it is assumed but not demonstrably shown to be Joe. The relationships must be clearly defined and not assumed for the map to be to realized.

Upvote 0
Try this Based on your Data in "A & B", for results starting "C1".
Code:
[COLOR=navy]Sub[/COLOR] MG31Aug29
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] Rng         [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] Dn          [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] c           [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] Dic         [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Object
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] R           [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR=navy]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A2"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
[COLOR=navy]Set[/COLOR] Dic = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
Dic.CompareMode = vbTextCompare
[COLOR=navy]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR=navy]In[/COLOR] Rng
   [COLOR=navy]If[/COLOR] Not Dic.exists(Dn.Value) [COLOR=navy]Then[/COLOR]
         Dic.Add (Dn.Value), Dn.Offset(, 1)
    [COLOR=navy]Else[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=navy]Set[/COLOR] Dic(Dn.Value) = Union(Dic(Dn.Value), Dn.Offset(, 1))
    [COLOR=navy]End[/COLOR] If
[COLOR=navy]Next[/COLOR] Dn
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] ac [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Long,[/COLOR] K [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Variant, p [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Variant, rep [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Range
[COLOR=navy]Dim[/COLOR] Kay [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] Variant, Txt [COLOR=navy]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]String[/COLOR]

ac = 4: c = 1
[COLOR=navy]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Each[/COLOR] K [COLOR=navy]In[/COLOR] Dic.keys
    c = c + 1: ac = 3
    Cells(1, ac).Value = "Supervisor"
    Cells(c, ac).Value = K
    Kay = K
        [COLOR=navy]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Each[/COLOR] p [COLOR=navy]In[/COLOR] Dic(Kay)
            [COLOR=navy]If[/COLOR] Dic.exists(Kay) [COLOR=navy]Then[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=navy]Set[/COLOR] rep = Dic(Kay)
                    [COLOR=navy]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Each[/COLOR] R [COLOR=navy]In[/COLOR] rep
                        Txt = R.Value
                        [COLOR=navy]If[/COLOR] Dic.exists(Txt) [COLOR=navy]Then[/COLOR]
                            ac = ac + 1
                            Cells(c, ac) = Txt
                            Cells(1, ac) = "Oversees Manager"
                        Kay = Txt
                    [COLOR=navy]Next[/COLOR] R
        [COLOR=navy]Next[/COLOR] p
[COLOR=navy]Next[/COLOR] K
[COLOR=navy]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=navy]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Mick,

But I'm only getting the below data... i need the data in the second table in my example. Could you modify this??

SupervisorOversees ManagerOversees Manager
JoePaulKaren
Paul
Karen

<colgroup><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hello CyrusTheVirus,

Hierarchies are built on relationships between the members. There needs to be information specific to each member before a hierarchy can be established. Your post does not have enough information to clearly define the relationships. In all hierarchies ther is a starting point or root. Here it is assumed but not demonstrably shown to be Joe. The relationships must be clearly defined and not assumed for the map to be to realized.

Hey Leith,

what if we made a separate cell contain the name (i will be using employee id's as unique identifiers, but for this example it is much easier for names) of the top dog?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cyrus,

Yes you will need to have a criteria that ranks or identifies the relationships between supervisors or expand on your source table that shows the difference in employees.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punka6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back