Import data from a Google sheet to Excel

sitewolf

OK, so if there's a different place for such questions, let me know....this is a question involving working with both Sheets and Excel
These days some of the data I need to scrape (sports stats) from the web is often easier using Sheets because coding on some sites yields empty sets when querying from Excel.

That said, my end game is to scrape the data, manipulate it for my purposes, and create a csv file I can then upload into my Sql database online.
Yes, of course, if I were more of a programmer I'd do a web scrape directly into my database, but not currently possible.

My Excel spreads use web queries to pull in the data, formulas to manipulate the data, then creates csvs where only the needed data remains. I can get to the point of creating the csvs in Sheets and I know how to create csvs there, but I'd rather import those sheets into an Excel file and create the csvs from there......only I can't figure out how to import from Sheets to Excel.

Any help? Or poking holes in my thought process?

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
maybe Download - Microsoft Excel (xlsx) ?

goo2xl.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good thought, but that creates a new xlsx file.....where I guess I could then run the manipulations to create the csv files I need
Now I just recorded a macro to create the csvs, but there's no lines in the macro creating anything, just moving thru the 3 sheets I wanted to save....however, if I just save the entire file I guess I don't need the macro. More than one way to skin a cat! (where's that line come from....who's skinning cats?!)

Upvote 0
from downloaded xlsx you can drag sheet(s) to your original workbook then "manipulate" as you wish
if downloaded file contain single sheet , after drag & drop this file will disappear.

read blue line below ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back