Increase a base salary every year with different rate increases over multiple years, but write f(x) such that the base year could be different?

josexcell

I am trying to project out various cohorts of hires we are planning, several positions per year. I want to project out the growth of those base salaries over multiple years, with varying rate increases, to show their value at any given year in the future. I would like to have a formula that can adjust the increases, depending on the different year a base salary starts.

so, below would be an example: In K8, the first year for a position starting in FY23, it is just base salary times the fringe rate (K5, row 5). In L8, the formula must add an increase to the base of 3% (row 4, col L). And so on. So, each additional year adds another year of salary % increase to the base. But, as we go down the sheet (into future years), the base salary starts on a future year. For example, L12 is just the base salary (D12, first year) times the fringe rate (L5).

1643565408327.png

Is there a formula that would at adjust for at the least the non-base years?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Upvote 0
Hi Jtakw, thank you for the reply.
This does it up to a point, but the value doesn't work because I only need one fringe value per year. (which makes me think it may be easier to separate the two somehow).
But, what I mean is that the base salary + fringe is year one. Then for year two, it is the sume of the base salary + the 2nd yr growth (%increase) all times the fringe rate for year 2. Then year three would be, the sum of the base salary + the 2nd yr growth (%increase) + the 3rd yr growth (%increase) all times the fringe rate of year 3. (so the fringe for years 1 & 2 at this point are ignored) (it's kind of like the fringe rate is the tax for the year on whatever the salary is.)

gratefully,

Upvote 0
I am trying to project out various cohorts of hires we are planning, several positions per year. I want to project out the growth of those base salaries over multiple years, with varying rate increases, to show their value at any given year in the future. I would like to have a formula that can adjust the increases, depending on the different year a base salary starts.

so, below would be an example: In K8, the first year for a position starting in FY23, it is just base salary times the fringe rate (K5, row 5). In L8, the formula must add an increase to the base of 3% (row 4, col L). And so on. So, each additional year adds another year of salary % increase to the base. But, as we go down the sheet (into future years), the base salary starts on a future year. For example, L12 is just the base salary (D12, first year) times the fringe rate (L5).
Is there a formula that would at adjust for at the least the non-base years?

That's not how I understand it based on your written description in OP (underlined above), but I think I know what you want now.

Busy right now, will look into it later.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jtakw. I think you are correct, I didn't call out the nuance on the fringe behavior.
Thanks again for taking a look at it.
J

Upvote 0
Is this giving you the results you're expecting:

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
K8:O23K8=IF(RIGHT($C8,2)+0>RIGHT(K$7,2)+0,"",IF($C8=K$7,$D8*(1+K$2),$D8*(1+K$1)^COUNT($J8:J8)*(1+K$2)))

Upvote 0
Looking at it again, my formula above in Post # 6 can be shortened to this:

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
K8:O23K8=IF(RIGHT($C8,2)+0>RIGHT(K$7,2)+0,"",$D8*(1+K$1)^COUNT($J8:J8)*(1+K$2))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back