Index and Match Formula

BT63

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I need some assistance in writing an index and match formula with an indirect reference. Here's what I have. I have a sheet named "Inventory" that contains 12 identical tables. Each table obviously has a different name. So, for example one is named "MAug23". Then I have a sheet, in the same workbook, named "InventoryReport". I need a formula that will pull the data from the "Inventory" sheet for a particular column. Here is the VLookup formula, but won't work as the data from B7 is in the 2nd column in the table. =VLOOKUP($B7,INDIRECT($D$3),13,0) I am using the Indirect reference in D3 to select the desired table to pull the data from. Hopefully, this makes sense. Any help is much appreciated!!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I am confused with the title of your post and the formula you have inside it.
Are you matching the second column of each of the 12 tables?
Are the values in the 2nd column repeated in all 12 tables, in the same sequence?
(If not how are you making sure you aren't looking up a value not in the table).

I'm thinking index match is a better process since youre starting in a column different from number 1.

Mr. Excel has a great tool that will probably get you quicker responses to your questions.
It is XL2BB add in (Link below). Using this means the forum will not have to recreate your scenario from scratch... which can lead to errors because of misunderstanding and typos. Help the forum help you.

If you cannot use the add in, please post a table of your values with some good labeling.
Providing an example with the desired solution would be a huge help.

Only in the worst case should you post an image (except for charts and other things that don't get copied with the xl2bb add in ).

Best wishes.

Upvote 0
Thank you!! I will give the add in a try. I appreciate your help!

Upvote 0
Do the tables have the same headings for the columns ?
If so perhaps you could just use XLookup.

20230822 Lookup Indirect BT63.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKL
3Table Name -->Table11<-- Result
4Lookup Value -->Apple
7Col1Col2Col3Col1Col2Col3Col1Col2Col3
8Apple1Apple4Apple7
9Orange2Orange5Orange8
10Kiwi3Kiwi6Kiwi9
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E3E3=XLOOKUP(D4,INDIRECT(D3&"[Col2]"),INDIRECT(D3&"[Col3]"), "")

Upvote 0
Solution
Works perfect! I appreciate your help! I was just reading up on the XLOOKUP formula last night, so guess that was the answer. Thanks again and have a great day.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back