=INDEX =Headache...

ourfear

Hi Peeps,

Im working on what i thought would have been an easy spreadsheet.

Basically Im looking up data from a table, then im using the index function to sort the data.

This all works fine.e.g: =INDEX($A$1:$C$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$B$7=$E$1,ROW($A$1:$B$7)),ROW(1:2)),3)

Which looks up the text in E1 and then lists the activities that have been associated with it on a table.

What im then trying to do is to simply amalgamate these references into one cell so:

=E1&" , "&E2

The problem being that E1 = Activity 1 and E2 = #Num! as no data has been filled in on the relavent table yet. Now the =E1&" , "&E2 wont work as it also just shows #Num!

I finally fogured out that if i place a second coloumn next to my data collector that reads:

=IF(ISERROR(E1),"Error1",E1)

Then i can still combine the cells but with ERROR1 written in the cell rather then #Num!.

Now im trying to write a macro or a function that will remove the Error1 refference from the text string in my merged cell.

Complicated...yes..make sense...hope so!!

Just in case here is a link to my work sheet:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fhjtmaau45x

Many Thanks.

Russ

Try in E2:

=IF((COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,E$1)+COUNTIF($B$1:$B$7,E$1))>(ROW(A1)-ROW(A$1)),INDEX($A$1:$C$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$B$7=E$1,ROW($A$1:$B$7)),ROW(1:2)),3),"")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Wey hey!!! Many Thanks Andrew!! That just saved me an awful lot of time!!
My next issue is that my Import page still shows:
<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 559px; height: 54px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 176pt;" width="235"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 176pt;" x:str="Activity 1 - One , Activity 2 - Two , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , " width="235" height="20">Activity 1 - One , Activity 2 Two , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , </td> </tr></table>
and the values need to be Comma Separated as it's going to be imported into a third party modelling program.

But I think it's not possible to be honest and your help on this issue has been immense!! : )

Upvote 0
Maybe you could use this custom function:

Code:
Function ConcatNoBlanks(Rng As Range) As String
    Dim Cell As Range
    ConcatNoBlanks = ""
    For Each Cell In Rng.Cells
        If Len(Cell.Value) > 0 Then
            ConcatNoBlanks = ConcatNoBlanks & Cell.Value & ","
        End If
    Next Cell
    If Len(ConcatNoBlanks) > 0 Then
        ConcatNoBlanks = Left(ConcatNoBlanks, Len(ConcatNoBlanks) - 1)
    End If
End Function

Upvote 0
How would i Use that?

Might sound daft but i know loads about Excel except the full VB side?! : )

Upvote 0
Press Alt+F11 to go to the Visual Basic Editor. Click your workbook in the Project window and choose Insert|Module from the menu. Paste my code into the window on the right. Close the VBE by clicking the X top right. In your worksheet you can use the function like this:

=ConcatNoBlanks(A1:C1)

Upvote 0
Slight modification to =ConcatNoBlanks(Code!F2:Code!F3:Code!F4:Code!F5) and it works absolutely 100% perfectly!! Plus our MooD software can now import it and model it happily!!!!

My man you are most definitely an MVP in this forum!!! Your help has been greatly appreciated.

: )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back