Index Match data to provide multiple results in rows not columns

EFLYNN

Hello

With Reference to the email sent by Iomond on September 23rd , 12.06 AM referring to the link How To Return Multiple Match Values in Excel Using INDEX-MATCH or VLOOKUP | eImagine Technology Group where he asked for the information to be presented across rows instead of down columns.

I copied his table concerning Part No , Assembly etc in a new file in Excel 2007 and entered the formula you gave him and pressed Control -Shift - Number as suggested.

However Excel would not convert the formula to an array and stated that there was an error in the formula.

It worked for Iomond but not for me.

Obviously I have made a mistake but I do not what.

I copied the formula by copy and paste directly from the web page viz

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$8,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$8,ROW($B$2:$B$8-ROW($D$2)+1),COLUMNS($E2:E2))),"")

Please advise.

Regards

FLYNNE

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Re: Index Match data to provide multiple results in columns

@EFLYNN

Care to post a small sample (the input) along with the output, i.e. the desired results?

Upvote 0

Hello

With Reference to the email sent by Iomond on September 23rd , 12.06 AM referring to the link How To Return Multiple Match Values in Excel Using INDEX-MATCH or VLOOKUP | eImagine Technology Group where he asked for the information to be presented across rows instead of down columns.

I copied his table concerning Part No , Assembly etc in a new file in Excel 2007 and entered the formula you gave him and pressed Control -Shift - Number as suggested.

However Excel would not convert the formula to an array and stated that there was an error in the formula.

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$8,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$8,ROW($B$2:$B$8-ROW($D$2)+1),COLUMNS($E2:E2))),"")

Please advise.

Regards

FLYNNE​

Upvote 0

Hello

Please advise.

Regards

FLYNNE​

What is the error that you get? What is the Excel version you have?

Upvote 0

Thank you for your prompt reply

I am using Excel 2007.

No specific error message - Just the standard error message viz The formula you typed contains an error,click help -to get assistance entering a function etc

I did notice that the formula copied was contained in two lines although there was enough room in the first line for the complete formula.

Any suggestions

Regards

Eflynn

Upvote 0

I split this from: Index Match data to provide multiple results in rows not columns

With new questions it is best to post to a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one. You can include links back to it, if it is helpful.

But be mindful not to post the same question multiple times! That is against forum rules (rule #12 here: Forum Rules). All clarifications, follow-ups, and bumps should be posted back to the original thread. Per forum rules, posts of a duplicate nature will be locked or deleted. I will delete your other one with no replies to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thank you for your prompt reply

I am using Excel 2007.

No specific error message - Just the standard error message viz The formula you typed contains an error,click help -to get assistance entering a function etc

I did notice that the formula copied was contained in two lines although there was enough room in the first line for the complete formula.

Any suggestions

Regards

Eflynn

Here is the workbook in which the quoted formula is used...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65698317/FLYNNN + lomond44 sublist.xlsx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back