INDEX, MATCH & LARGE trouble with duplicate values

paulstuartbullock

Hi, I'm working on a student tracking sheet where students have various grades in different subjects. I'm using 'LARGE' to identify their best grades within a selection of subjects, but I need a way of pulling the column reference to accompany a given cell and locate this in the adjacent cell.

First group of subject titles currently B7:I7
First group of grades B8:I8
Second group of subjects in Q:AV, including 4th-7th highest from first group.

Currently using:
K8=LARGE(B8:G8,1) and similar for the second and third highest values.
J8=INDEX($B$7:$I$7,1,MATCH(K8,$B$8:$I$8,0)) to pull the column titles (Subject names) out.

That is, if a student has five grades say in Maths (7), English (5), French (4), Geography (9) and History (8), and I wish to identify not only the top 3 grades, but also the subjects of those grades and have them reported elsewhere: 9, Geography, 8 History, 7 Maths. It delivers this.

There is a small catch here, I am in the position where I need to take the first three scores and corresponding subjects from one grouping, and the first three from another grouping (Which includes 4th highest onwards from the first group).

I ultimately need these six scores, plus the corresponding subjects to be output somewhere.

The example here:
Science, Double Sci, Triple Sci, Geog, Hist, French
4, 6, 2, 3, 7, 3
has several subjects with an equal score (Perfectly likely), but my formulae only pick up the first value they find and output this twice when this happens,

S8=LARGE(B8:I8, 4)
R8=INDEX($B$7:$I$7,1,MATCH(S8,$B$8:$I$8,0))

S8 returns "Geog", but the same set up for 5th largest also returns "Geog" rather than "French".

How can I get it to distinguish between these duplicate values, take the first one as a first choice value and then 'see' the second duplicate value? Also a little unsure if my use of LARGE 4/5/6/7 is the best solution to identify the lower scores in the first group.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
try this for the subject names:

=OFFSET($A$7,0,SMALL(IF($B8:$G8=K8,COLUMN($B8:$G8),""),COUNTIF($I8:I8,K8)+1)-1) press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Hi, I'm working on a student tracking sheet where students have various grades in different subjects. I'm using 'LARGE' to identify their best grades within a selection of subjects, but I need a way of pulling the column reference to accompany a given cell and locate this in the adjacent cell.

First group of subject titles currently B7:I7
First group of grades B8:I8
Second group of subjects in Q:AV, including 4th-7th highest from first group.

Currently using:
K8=LARGE(B8:G8,1) and similar for the second and third highest values.
J8=INDEX($B$7:$I$7,1,MATCH(K8,$B$8:$I$8,0)) to pull the column titles (Subject names) out.

That is, if a student has five grades say in Maths (7), English (5), French (4), Geography (9) and History (8), and I wish to identify not only the top 3 grades, but also the subjects of those grades and have them reported elsewhere: 9, Geography, 8 History, 7 Maths. It delivers this.

There is a small catch here, I am in the position where I need to take the first three scores and corresponding subjects from one grouping, and the first three from another grouping (Which includes 4th highest onwards from the first group).

I ultimately need these six scores, plus the corresponding subjects to be output somewhere.

The example here:
Science, Double Sci, Triple Sci, Geog, Hist, French
4, 6, 2, 3, 7, 3
has several subjects with an equal score (Perfectly likely), but my formulae only pick up the first value they find and output this twice when this happens,

S8=LARGE(B8:I8, 4)
R8=INDEX($B$7:$I$7,1,MATCH(S8,$B$8:$I$8,0))

S8 returns "Geog", but the same set up for 5th largest also returns "Geog" rather than "French".

How can I get it to distinguish between these duplicate values, take the first one as a first choice value and then 'see' the second duplicate value? Also a little unsure if my use of LARGE 4/5/6/7 is the best solution to identify the lower scores in the first group.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JazzSingerNL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back