Index Match to return an average

Batley

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I need a formula to look at a table of data, identify if the result is TRUE then return me the average of all the true values for each row:
Average for TRUENumber10525963249.524.517.25
01FALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSE
42FALSEFALSEFALSETRUEFALSEFALSETRUEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSE
103FALSEFALSETRUEFALSETRUETRUEFALSETRUEFALSEFALSEFALSE
7.254FALSETRUEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSETRUEFALSEFALSE
5TRUEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSETRUEFALSE
6FALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSEFALSETRUE

I have manually entered the first few results I want to get.
So there are no True results for number 1 so the average is 0
For number 2 there are true results for col F which and col I so I want it to add the blue numbers in row 3 together (5+3) then get the average of 8
How would I do this with a formula?
I used and AND formula to return the TRUE/FALSE result I just cant figure out the next step.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
If your numbers are in row 3, and number 2 is on row 5, use this formula to get your average of 4:
Excel Formula:
=SUMIF(C5:M5,TRUE,C$3:M$3)/COUNTIF(C5:M5,TRUE)

Upvote 1
Solution
A minor update to the formula to handle number 1, where there are no matches.
This version will return 0 instead of an error (put formula in cell A4):
Excel Formula:
=SUMIF(C4:M4,TRUE,C$3:M$3)/MAX(COUNTIF(C4:M4,TRUE),1)
This version can be used for all rows.

Upvote 0
=ROUNDUP(IFERROR(SUMIF(C4:BB4,TRUE,C$3:BB$3)/COUNTIF(C4:BB4,TRUE),"0"),0)
Thank you for your help, above is the formula I ended up with. I fixed the error by adding in IFERROR and also added a round up function - it seems to work :)

Upvote 0
OK, a few things to note:
- your formula will round up to the nearest whole number, do you will lost your decimal values (i.e 7.25 will show as 8)
- in your IFERROR formula, you should really write "0" as 0 (without the double-quotes). Double-quotes are used for Text, not Numbers. The ROUND function coerces it back to a number, but it is important something to note in the future, as return TEXT entries could affect calculations you may be trying to do
- also note that IFERROR will handle ANY error, not just 0 counts for division. So if you had a text error entry where it expects a number, that situation will be hidden by the IFERROR statement. Sometimes, you may want to see/know about that situation, in which case it would be preferable to use the formula I provided. It all depends on your needs, but you should just be aware of that.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for that information - I had no idea "" changed a number to text and its a mistake I have been making for a while!
Self taught excel I am afraid but I am learning more everyday and really appreciate you have taken the time to help me - I will amend the formula :)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for that information - I had no idea "" changed a number to text and its a mistake I have been making for a while!
Self taught excel I am afraid but I am learning more everyday and really appreciate you have taken the time to help me - I will amend the formula :)
You are welcome.

In Excel and VBA, double-quotes are used to denote literal text values.
Many times, it may not ultimately make a difference (wrapping a number in "") as sometimes Excel might automatically coerce back to a number based on the formulas you are putting it in, but sometimes it might not, so it is best to be consistent to avoid any potential problems.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back