index/match?

excel01noob

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Hi

I am having a bit of trouble trying to define the best way of solve my current assignment.

I have 2 sheets with data, in the 1st sheet I have column "transportation" and column "country", these 2 columns will be checked against the 2nd sheet (same column name)
Now, I summarise the different results (image) I want to have in the 1st sheet based on looking the data in the 2nd sheet.

What the best way of doing this?
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot .gif
    Screenshot .gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 23

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi

I am having a bit of trouble trying to define the best way of solve my current assignment.

I have 2 sheets with data, in the 1st sheet I have column "transportation" and column "country", these 2 columns will be checked against the 2nd sheet (same column name)
Now, I summarise the different results (image) I want to have in the 1st sheet based on looking the data in the 2nd sheet.

What the best way of doing this?
Thank you in advance
Hello, try this... in sheet1, cell E1, it would be something like this =INDEX(Sheet2!A:Z,MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0),1)
in sheet2, cell E2, it would be something like this =INDEX(Sheet1!A:Z,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!A:A,0),1)

when you look at the formula, let's take the formula in sheet1, cell E1. this Sheet2!A:Z refers to the sheet and sections you want to look at. this MATCH(A1 refers to the cell in sheet1 that you want to match against in Sheet2. this Sheet2!A:A says to match cell A1 to anything in column A in sheet 2. 0 is for a perfect match. 1 is for the column you want to return, in this case, 1 is column A. so, in the Shee1 E1 formula, it says... the lookup sheet is Sheet2 columns A to Z. then take cell A1 and match it against Sheet2 Column A. then 0 says it has to be a perfect match. then 1 says return the first column. hope this helps. if you want, you can post a mini spreadsheet and i can write it in there for you. cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back