INDIRECT() randomly breaks with ROW()

lamking

I am trying to do dynamic formulae creation and have successfully done in the past, but I am facing a very strange issue whereby using the ROW() formula within the INDIRECT() formula breaks it and it gives a #VALUE error.

If I enter 3 values in column A as below:

A1: 1
A2: 2
A3: 3

I can then enter the following in B1: =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"&1&":"&"A3")) which gives the correct answer of 6. However, if I enter in C1: =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"&ROW()&":"&"A3")) the answer given is 0 because at the final stage INDIRECT({A1:A3}) evaluates to #VALUE.

If I again change this an in D1 I enter: =ROW() which evaluates to 1 and in E1 I enter: =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"&D1&":"&"A3")) it again works no problem.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the formula in C1 is broken?

Thanks muchly.
Ian

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
I am trying to do dynamic formulae creation and have successfully done in the past, but I am facing a very strange issue whereby using the ROW() formula within the INDIRECT() formula breaks it and it gives a #VALUE error.

If I enter 3 values in column A as below:

A1: 1
A2: 2
A3: 3

I can then enter the following in B1: =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"&1&":"&"A3")) which gives the correct answer of 6. However, if I enter in C1: =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"&ROW()&":"&"A3")) the answer given is 0 because at the final stage INDIRECT({A1:A3}) evaluates to #VALUE.

If I again change this an in D1 I enter: =ROW() which evaluates to 1 and in E1 I enter: =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"&D1&":"&"A3")) it again works no problem.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why the formula in C1 is broken?

Thanks muchly.
Ian

I have solved my original problem with helper columns to remove the need for the ROW() formula to be embedded within the INDIRECT() formula, but the fact remains that I would love to know why this is failing?

If anyone has come across this issue (and preferably resolved it) I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks
Ian

Upvote 0
For dynamic begin & end row range, try:
=SUM(INDIRECT("A"&ROW()&":A"&COUNT(A:A)))

Hi rallcorn,

Thanks for the reply . . . and I use a variety of techniques to get dynamic calculations - usually summing over dynamic ranges.

However, in this case, I have to use the INDIRECT() function and combine it with the ROW() function and I started off with a very long complex formula which was broken. As I analysed the problem, I came down to the fact that I could break INDIRECT with ROW with the simplest of functions as stated in the first post. In fact you get the same issue using a simple SUM instead of the SUMPRODUCT.

I don't understand why the above simple formula is breaking. I tested your formula and it works and does not evaluate to #VALUE, but several other options such as entering the following in G1: =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A1:"&"A"&ROW()+2)) also break and give a #VALUE error during evaluation.

Upvote 0
where ever you have inserted Row() > Replace it with SUMPRODUCT(ROW()) or SUM(ROW())

Example

In C1 case =SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"&ROW()&":"&"A3"))

will become

=SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"& SUMPRODUCT(ROW()) &":"&"A3"))

or
=SUMPRODUCT(INDIRECT("A"& SUM(ROW()) &":"&"A3"))

I think output of Row() is a array value which needs to be converted to a value. This is my opinion though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back