Input Date for Filter

luckyearl

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi
I want to filter records that lie in between dates, with startDate & endDate cells F1 & H1, Data is in A2:E2000, Date in just wondered if I could input the dates in a dialog (do away with F1& H1), also make the range dynamic
My Code
VBA Code:
Sub MyDateFilter()
    Dim lngStart As Long, lngEnd As Long
    lngStart = Range("F1").Value 'start date
    lngEnd = Range("H1").Value 'end date
    Range("A1:A2000").AutoFilter field:=1, _
        Criteria1:=">=" & lngStart, _
        Operator:=xlAnd, _
        Criteria2:="<=" & lngEnd
End Sub

Hi @kevin9999
Just wondering how do I tweak the code
I want to have "Index" sheet as active sheet, with name of sheet to filter in A3 of "Index" Sheet
VBA Code:
Sub MyDateFilter2()
    Dim lngStart As String, lngEnd As String, ws As Worksheet, MySheet As String
    lngStart = InputBox("Insert Date in format dd/mm/yyyy", "Start Date Input box", "1/10/20")
    lngEnd = InputBox("Insert Date in format dd/mm/yyyy", "End Date Input box", "31/01/2021")

MySheet = Sheets("Index").Range("A3").Value
    Set ws = Sheets(MySheet)
    ws.Activate
    With ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion
        .AutoFilter 1, ">=" & CLng(CDate(lngStart)), 1, "<=" & CLng(CDate(lngEnd))
    End With
    Range("A1").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Index").Select
Range("a12").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
End Sub

This line → With ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion → Run-time error '13': Type mismatch
Any Suggestions?
Cheers

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi @kevin9999
Just wondering how do I tweak the code
I want to have "Index" sheet as active sheet, with name of sheet to filter in A3 of "Index" Sheet
VBA Code:
Sub MyDateFilter2()
    lngStart = InputBox("Insert Date in format dd/mm/yyyy", "Start Date Input box", "1/10/20")
    lngEnd = InputBox("Insert Date in format dd/mm/yyyy", "End Date Input box", "31/01/2021")

Set ws = Sheets(MySheet)
    ws.Activate
    With ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion
    End With
    Range("A1").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Index").Select
Range("a12").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
End Sub

This line → With ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion → Run-time error '13': Type mismatch
Any Suggestions?
Cheers

What is the value of MySheet once you've set it, and where does the data range start (top left corner) on that sheet?

Upvote 0
Hi,
MySheet points to A3
A3 has validation list → names of all worksheets of the workBook, and is on "Index" workSheet
Data range starts A1, but has many tables on the sheet with many empty cells scattered , but none after row 12
Thank you

Upvote 0
Hi,
MySheet points to A3
A3 has validation list → names of all worksheets of the workBook, and is on "Index" workSheet
Data range starts A1, but has many tables on the sheet with many empty cells scattered , but none after row 12
Thank you

I'm struggling a bit to follow your flow of logic, but see if I've got this right:
1. You get the value of MySheet from the Index sheet, range A3 which is showing Index
2. You set ws to MySheet - which is the value you get from the Index sheet - which is Index
3. Later in your code, you're copying a filtered range from the ws sheet (Index) to range A12 on the sheet - Index

Is that right?

Upvote 0
I have workbook with several sheets. The first sheet is "Index"
A3 cell on "Index" Sheet has validation list → names of all worksheets of the workBook
I would select a sheet example "BownessExpenses" from dropdown List in A3 of "Index" Sheet
Now I want to filter the data on workSheet "BownessExpenses" → copy filtered range
Then would paste on A12 of "Index" workSheet
So
1. You get the value of MySheet from the Index sheet, range A3→correct, but the value would be some other sheet "BownessExpenses"
You set ws to MySheet - which is the value you get from the Index sheet → Correct, which is NOT Index, it is some other Sheet "BownessExpenses"
3. Later in your code, you're copying a filtered range from the ws sheet (Index) to range A12 on the sheet - Index → Correct

Thank you

Upvote 0
I have workbook with several sheets. The first sheet is "Index"
A3 cell on "Index" Sheet has validation list → names of all worksheets of the workBook
I would select a sheet example "BownessExpenses" from dropdown List in A3 of "Index" Sheet
Now I want to filter the data on workSheet "BownessExpenses" → copy filtered range
Then would paste on A12 of "Index" workSheet
So
1. You get the value of MySheet from the Index sheet, range A3→correct, but the value would be some other sheet "BownessExpenses"
You set ws to MySheet - which is the value you get from the Index sheet → Correct, which is NOT Index, it is some other Sheet "BownessExpenses"
3. Later in your code, you're copying a filtered range from the ws sheet (Index) to range A12 on the sheet - Index → Correct

Thank you

OK, I think I understand it a bit better now. Your code is starting to grow weeds - you hardly ever need to use .Select. The following code should work, as long as the data in your sheet BownessExpenses starts in cell A1, and as I pointed out in my first post: as long as your data is contiguous.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub MyDateFilter2()

Set ws = Worksheets(MySheet)
    With ws.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion
        .Copy
        Sheets("Index").Range("A12").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
        Application.CutCopyMode = 0
        .AutoFilter
    End With
End Sub

If this doesn't work, you'll need to upload your sheet using the XL2BB Tool before I can help you further.
Good luck :)

Upvote 0
I like the expression "starting to grow weeds", no wonder this happens when do not know what u are doing ;)
BTW the code works perfectly, Thank you for all your help, u have been kind

Upvote 0
I like the expression "starting to grow weeds", no wonder this happens when do not know what u are doing ;)
BTW the code works perfectly, Thank you for all your help, u have been kind
My pleasure @luckyearl and thanks for the feedback. Sometimes we have no choice but to record a macro. When we do, however, we always end up with a ton of .Selects and .Activates in the code, which are largely superfluous.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back