Input past end of File, what does that mean ?

RompStar

So I use Access, someone who isn't here no more made a Metrics System using Access, and there is a FORM that I use to input a textfile.txt file into Access.

After doing it's thing, at the end, a window pops up saying:

"Input past end of file"

What does this mean ?

Thank you for your help.

I selected the Subroutines and I choose Debug, but it finds nothing, what should I select to debug, do you have any ideas ?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
That isn't how you debug.

When you get the error you should be given various options, Debug being one of them.

If you select Debug then the offending code should be highlighted.

Another option would be to set a breakpoint (F9) then step through the code using F8.

Upvote 0
Ok, well I use the Form, I press the button, I enter the text file name from the Desktop, it does it's thing and then the error pop-up, but I don't see any Debug option right by the error, do I have to go into the Debug menu and choose it from there ?

Upvote 0
So there are no buttons on the error message dialog?

Upvote 0
This is what I do, let me know if you think I am doing it right...

I Open the FORM called DATAINPUT, which has two buttons, I only get the error from one of the buttons, the other funcitons fine.

So I select the Sub for that button that it is assigned to:

cmdRecDist_Click() and I Play it

then a Macro Name: windows pops up, as I think that Sub links to another, and I play Populate Table RECDISVOL(), and press Run

I get that error and then I press Debug and it point to this, with the arrow ----> the yellow highlighted part.

Err_Duplicate:
If Err.Number = errorNumDup Or Err.Number = errorNumRange Or Err.Number = errorType Then
Resume Next
End If
------> Err.Raise Err.Number
End Sub

:unsure:

Upvote 0
Sounds to me as though you have a combination of macros and code - not something I would recommend.

Like I said earlier this is going to be hard to help with because we don't know/can't recreate easily what you actually have.

If it was me I would be trying to figure out the purpose of the code/macros.

Whoever created this hasn't done a real good job of making it easy to maintain.:)

Upvote 0
Ok, one more question:

Now when I debug I get some additional information:

Run-time error '62'
Input past end of file

does the 62 help any further ?

Thanks for all the help, what's the 62 means ?

Upvote 0
Well it really doesn't mean anything I'm afraid, it's just an arbritary number that's been assigned to that particular error.

I seriously think you should probably be looking at replacing the existing code.

Upvote 0
HEX = EOF error ?

Question.

If in one of the columns of a SCV file that is being imported to Access had Hex numbers instead of plain text, would that cause EOF to spit out an error if it encountered HEX in the middle of a file ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricardo Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back