Insert an extra line

richrr31

I have an excel sheet that we are going to distrubute to our customers. They are supposed to enter info and send it back. There is a section that is a table with five or six columns and five or six rows. Is there a way to expand a protected sheet so that an extra row can be added to this table by our customers, using a button? Note that it is not an actual table, but cells with borders all around.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
IF the sheet is protected, then you can not add additional lines to the sheet. If you do not have to protect the sheet, then you can use a macro button to insert a new line for the customer. Another method would be to use a macro to copy information from an input tab to a database tab and then rehide the database tab so the customer would not have access to the database tab.

Upvote 0
The sheet does need to be protected. I didn't think there would be a way to do it, but my boss figured there had to be some way to get it done. Thanks for confirming my thought. Now I can tell him that it can't be done.

Upvote 0
Hi Rich,

It is quite easy to have your macro unprotect the sheet, add the line, etc., and then re-protect the sheet (see the Protect and Unprotect methods in the VBA helps). In addition you can disable the ESC key so that even the fastest-fingered user can't abort the macro and leave the sheet in an unprotected state. You should password-protect the VBProject when you do this so the user can't access the code and view the password. You can also force the user to enable macros by not providing the necessary functionality, or even by not making the necessary worksheets visible, without macros enabled.

Upvote 0
Hi Rich,

To protect the VBAProject, in the Visual Basic Editor (VBE) go to Tools > VBAProject Properties... > Protection Tab. Lock project for viewing. Bear in mind that your protection is only as good as your password. Anything under 9 characters long and not containing numeric characters is EASILY breakable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back