Insert Fields In MS Word

dcofer

Board Regular
Is there a way to insert data in a table, and then MS Word grab that data and insert it into the body of a document at specified locations?

For example, I need to insert a dollar amount, a date (in the past), two names, etc into a template already created. Instead of having to hunt for the locations in the template, it would be easier to insert this data into a table, then let MS Word grab that data and insert it into the template at the appropriate places.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this question, but I did not see anywhere to post it.

Thanks,

dave

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Bookmarks. This is an old post, so I won't go into specifics unless you haven't found out the solution already :)

Upvote 0
No, I have not received or figured out a solution. I am not familiar with Bookmarks. Perhaps you can provide specifics.

Thanks,

David

Upvote 0
Dave

Ever heard of Mail Merge?:eek:

Upvote 0
Hi Norie:

There are some instances where people are creating only one document at a time and where the same data is reiterated throughout the doc. Many legal boilerplates are done in this fashion like confidentiality agreements, indentures, etc...

Most people in this type of situation uses bookmarks. They bookmark the Date, Client Name, etc....

Dave

To use bookmarks, highlight the text you want to repeat and go to the menu and choose INSERT/BOOKMARK and click the button, ADD.

To make a reference to that bookmark, move the cursor to where you want the reference and choose from the menu INSERT/FIELD. Under FIELD NAMES, choose REF.

Click the bookmark you want to reference and click OK.

STYLEREF
Alternatively, and what I almost always do, is use STYLEREF. Instead of creating a bookmark, create a style, and reference the Style using the STYLEREF field. To me, this is much better because you can then use a table in your document to hold all your references. You can do this with a bookmark, but if your bookmark includes the EndOfCell marker, then when you refer to your bookmark, you'll get your text surrounded by a cell. With STYLEREF, you only get the text.

Additionally, if the date needs to be changed, many people will erase the whole date and then retype. If you do this with a bookmark, you erase the bookmark. When you type the new data, it won't automatically be bookmarked. Your field codes error out. If you use a style on the whole cell, it doesn't matter. Whatever you place in that cell will have the style assigned to it and STYLEREF will work with no need to manually update (unlike bookmark as I just described).

There's tons of good stuff on the internet describing how the field codes REF and STYLEREF work. If you are still having troubles, drop me an email and I'll send you off a quick example Word file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bharathi V

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back