Interest Rate Calculator

Columbo_UK

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Old user returning with a simple question that I frustratingly can't quite wrap my head around.

I've created an interest rate calculator for a repayment mortgage that takes account of loan size and term, then takes the interest rate and fees into account to spit out what the equivalent rate is, e.g. for a £100,000 mortgage over 25 years, for a 2 year fixed rate of 5.44% with a fee of £495, it has an equivalent rate of 5.78%. I need to do the same calculation for an interest only mortgage, with fees that are a percentage of the loan size, and for the life of me I can't quite grasp what formula to use!? Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I tried this 2 ways for Amortizing loans (using RATE and IRR functions), and Used IRR to try to figure out Interest only.
I thought they would be the same for the Amortizing loans, so there is something I'm missing. But, maybe this can get you started.
For the RATE formula I used "end of period". For the CashFlow in IRR I used the AMT FINANCED as the first Flow, then 299 interest payments, and the PRINCIPAL as the final flow.

So, while not complete, I hope it gives you some direction. If not, post what you have and maybe some other folks will add.
What calculation did you use to get an equivalent rate of 5.78% for the amortizing loan?
Is equivalent rate the same as APR(Annual Percentage Rate)?

Book1
ABCD
1AmortizingInterest Only
2Principal2500025000
3Fee495495
4Rate5.44%5.44%
5Term2525
6Calc Pmt-152.63-113.33
7IRR Function5.6304%5.5785%
8RATE Function5.6461%
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D6D6=25000*(-D4/12)
D7D7=LET(PMTS,1*(TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(";",,SEQUENCE(,(D5*12)-1,1,0)*(ROUND(-D6,2))),";")), AF,D2-D3,FP,D2,CF,HSTACK(-AF,PMTS,FP),IRR(CF,C4/12)*12)
C6C6=PMT(C4/12,C5*12,C2)
C7C7=LET(PMTS,1*(TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(";",,SEQUENCE(,(C5*12)-1,1,0)*(ROUND(-C6,2))),";")), AF,C2-C3,CF,HSTACK(-AF,PMTS),IRR(CF,C4/12)*12)
C8C8=RATE(C5*12,C6,C2-C3,,0,(C4/12))*12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back