Is anybody finding Excel reporting tedious?

Sash0598

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi everyone! So I've been using Excel for some interesting reports and analytics:
- Monthly usage
- Sales and pricing tracking
- Quarterly updates

But I haven't figured out a way to have the data and charts update live. What are some problems you all face on Excel when dashboarding and reporting? I ask because I would like to spend some time improving my efficiency on Excel with your help!

Happy to chat through it.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Usually the 'big' problem is the source data.
PowerQuery can compile and handle the ETL easily. And usually everything should go into a PivotTable (or multiple.)
So tedious is not the case except for the exports from the source system/database. Its super easy when one of the connectors works (is allowed to work) and it really is just refresh (on open!)

Upvote 0
i used to use an ODBC connection to a summary database and had pivot tables linked for the managers and they just opened the excel file and refreshed and had all the information on the dashboard and some exceptions listing - that was in 1995/7 , and working for DEC for all the UK Service data which was large

I have a mac now and long retired - so i would have thought the report was much easier these days - also not used power query , as not sure if available on 365 for OSX/Mac

Upvote 0
PowerQuery is available for most users who have current unrestricted subscriptions. Educational institutions and some businesses restrict features, so if you have a special license, you might not have PowerQuery.

ODBC still works the same as always. Mac OS does not include ODBC drivers, so you have to purchase them separately. Two companies sell ODBC drivers: ActualTechnologies and OpenLink Software.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back