Is it possible to link to a Word Doc Quick Parts field?

cwbasset

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone. Google has failed me and you guys are my only hope.

I am working on a novel with each chapter in its own word document. Each chapter includes a word count using a Quick Parts "NumWords" field. I often go back to different files to add or delete text as my muse demands, so the word counts often change.

I have a simple spreadsheet that acts as a table of contents showing chapter number, chapter title, and chapter word count. I have linked each chapter to the chapter number so it can be opened easily. I would sure like to make that word count field dynamic by linking it to that NumWords field.

Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
It is possible.

If you restructure your Worksheet to look EXACTLY like this (including putting the contents into these specific columns, your first chapter starts on Row 4, etc., and including copying the formula for Cell D4 and pasting it into Cell D4 and filling down as many rows as you need to)
  • But you don't have to have the formatting
  • You can change the novel's folder name in Cell B2, the file extension to .doc in Cell C1, and the folder location in Cell D2
  • You can delete all contents and formatting of Cell A2.

Is it possible to link to a Word Doc Quick Parts field.xlsb
ABCD
1Word Document File Extension ->.docxFolder Location
2Double Click Chapter # to Open Corresponding Word Doc.My NovelC:\Users\cwbasset\Documents
3Chapter NumberChapter TitleWord CountFile Location
40PrologueC:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Prologue.docx
51Chapter 1C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 1.docx
62Chapter 2C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 2.docx
73Chapter 3C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 3.docx
84Chapter 4C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 4.docx
95Chapter 5C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 5.docx
106Chapter 6C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 6.docx
117Chapter 7C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 7.docx
128Chapter 8C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 8.docx
139Chapter 9C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 9.docx
1410Chapter 10C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 10.docx
Book X TOC
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D4:D14D4=CONCATENATE(IF(MID($D$2,LEN($D$2),LEN($D$2))="\",$D$2,CONCATENATE($D$2,"\")),$B$2,"\",B4,IF(MID($C$1,1,1)=".",$C$1,CONCATENATE(".",$C$1)))

Then, once you insert the following code into your Excel Worbkook (and save the Excel Workbook as .xlsb file extension, not .xlsx), when you double click on a cell with a chapter number in Column A (and there is a file location to the right of it in Column D), then if the file in the file location exists, it will put the word count in Column C.

There are Four scenarios of what can happen when you double left click on the chapter number cell. For scenarios 2 - 4, it will update the word count in Column C.
  1. The Word Document doesn't exist.
    You get a notification that it doesn't exist.

2. The Word Document exists and is opened.
    It will update the word count in Column C (but it will not open or close or save anything)

3. The Word Document exists but is not opened and Microsoft Word itself is opened.
    It will open the file without opening up a second instance of Word (if you don't know what I meant by "a second instance", then don't worry about it).

4. The Word Document exists but is not opened and Microsoft Word itself is NOT opened.
    It will open up Microsoft Word and then open up that Word Document. (The Chapter Document will be the only Word Document opened after the fact.)

When you single left click anywhere in the sheet, if you have one (or more) of the Word documents/Chapters already opened, it will update ALL of the Chapter's word counts. But on condition:
  • Let's say that you are starting your day and there are no Microsoft Word Documents already opened.

• If you know you want to edit Chapters 1-4, and you select all of them in the folder and press enter (to open all of them at once), then the code will only "recognize" the first Word Document that it opened up.
    • There needs to be only ONE Microsoft Word application opened . . . which you can see in Windows Task Manager.
  • So instead, just open up one of the Chapters first, and then you can select as many chapters that you want to open up and press enter to open them all up simultaneously. Then it will update all Word document chapter's Word counts that are listed in your Excel Spreadsheet/Table of Contents. (If you have other Word Documents opened for another purpose, it will ignore those.)

So, here's the code I wrote to do this. If you don't know how to insert code into an Excel Workbook already, follow steps 1-4 of Insert and run VBA macros in Excel - step-by-step guide - Ablebits.com .

Insert this code into a new module (as shown at the link above).
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub OpenWordDocument(filePath As String)

If File_Path_Exists(filePath) = False Then
    MsgBox "The file could not be found.", vbCritical, "Opening file Failed"
    Exit Sub
End If

Dim WordApp As Object
Dim wordDoc As Object
If IsFileOpen(filePath) = True Then
    Set WordApp = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
    filePath = Right(filePath, Len(filePath) - InStrRev(filePath, "\"))
    WordApp.Documents(filePath).Activate
    Set wordDoc = WordApp.ActiveDocument
Else
    If MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened = False Then
        Set WordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
        WordApp.Visible = True
        Set wordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open(filePath)
    Else
        Set wordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open(filePath)
    End If
End If

ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2).Value = wordDoc.Words.Count - 1

End Sub

Sub Test__MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened()
MsgBox MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened
End Sub
Function MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened()
'Loop through all processes in task manager to find out.

'This code (which accesses Windows Task MANAGER) is from https://stackoverflow.com/a/26303330
MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened = False

Dim oServ As Object
Set oServ = GetObject("winmgmts:")

Dim cProc As Variant
Set cProc = oServ.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Process")

Dim oProc As Object
For Each oProc In cProc
    If oProc.Name = "WINWORD.EXE" Then GoTo Exit_Sub
Next

Exit Function
Exit_Sub:
MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened = True
End Function

Sub Test__File_Path_Exists()
MsgBox File_Path_Exists("C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 1.docx")
End Sub
Function File_Path_Exists(filePath As String)
File_Path_Exists = Not Dir(filePath) = ""
End Function

Sub Test__IsFileOpen()
MsgBox IsFileOpen("C:\Users\cwbasset\Documents\My Novel\Chapter 1.docx")
End Sub
Function IsFileOpen(FileName As String)
'https://stackoverflow.com/a/9373914
    Dim ff As Long, ErrNo As Long

On Error Resume Next
    ff = FreeFile()
    Open FileName For Input Lock Read As #ff
    Close ff
    ErrNo = Err
    On Error GoTo 0

Select Case ErrNo
    Case 0:    IsFileOpen = False
    Case 70:   IsFileOpen = True
    Case Else: Error ErrNo
    End Select

End Function

Sub Update_Open_Microsoft_Word_Documents_WordCounts()

If MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened = False Then Exit Sub

'The following line of code is needed because "Bad file name" will pop up
'if the user selects 2 or more Word Documents and opens them rather than
'opening up one first and THEN opening up as many as needed
'(one at a time or all at once (by selecting multiple and pressing enter).
On Error Resume Next

Dim lastRowInColumnD As Long
lastRowInColumnD = Range("D1").End(xlDown).Row

Dim filePath As String
Dim WordApp As Object
Dim wordDoc As Object

Dim i As Integer
i = 4
Do While i <= lastRowInColumnD
    filePath = Cells(i, 4).Value
    If InStr(filePath, ".doc") > 0 Then
        If File_Path_Exists(filePath) = True Then
            If IsFileOpen(filePath) = True Then
                filePath = Right(filePath, Len(filePath) - InStrRev(filePath, "\"))
                WordApp.Documents(filePath).Activate
                Set wordDoc = WordApp.ActiveDocument
                Cells(i, 3).Value = wordDoc.Words.Count - 1
            End If
        End If
    End If
    i = i + 1
Loop

End Sub

Now right click on the Tab name of your worksheet with the table of contents (at the bottom "status bar looking part of Excel) and select View Code.
Copy this code into that module.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
'When you DOUBLE left click.
If InStr(Target.Offset(0, 3).Value, ".doc") > 0 Then
    Cancel = True
    Call OpenWordDocument(Target.Offset(0, 3).Value)
End If

End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
'When you SINGLE left click, DOUBLE click, or right click.
Call Update_Open_Microsoft_Word_Documents_WordCounts

End Sub

If you have been using hyperlinks to open your Word Documents from the Excel Table of Contents, you may remove them, as you won't need them anymore. But if your Worksheet is already interactive, then just append the above code to your Table of Content sheet's code module as needed.

Final Notes: (For this post)
  • Clearly this spreadsheet "template" formulas for Column D assumes that all of your Word documents have the same file extension. (They are either all .docx or .doc.)

• I chose double left click rather than single left clickto carry out the action because you won't be able to rename the chapter numbers, as you have to select a cell to change its contents.
    • Usually people double click on a cell to change its contents, but you can single click on it and change its contents via the formula bar.
  • It is possible for Excel to update the word counts every, say, 5 seconds or so without you having to do anything. If that's what you wanted, let me know. I just wanted to show this ("less intrusive") method first.

Upvote 0
Solution
And on second thought, please omit the line of code:
VBA Code:
If MicrosoftWord_Is_Already_Opened = False Then Exit Sub
from
VBA Code:
Sub Update_Open_Microsoft_Word_Documents_WordCounts()

As it's not needed (I already have an On Error Resume Next in it that takes care of debug error messages). Not only is it not need, but it doesn't seem like a good idea for Excel to access Windows Task Manager every time you make a click in the sheet! Sorry about that!

Upvote 0
Thank you SO MUCH for responding to my quandary.

After renaming 38 files to make them consistent, the formula/spreadsheet works great!

However, I am finding a problem with the results. For example, The spreadsheet shows Chapter 38 contains 5,115 words. The word file shows 4,159 on both the bottom bar and the quick parts field. Any ideas why there would be a difference here?

Upvote 0
Thank you SO MUCH for responding to my quandary.

After renaming 38 files to make them consistent, the formula/spreadsheet works great!
You're quite welcome! I actually made a text-to-speech reader with Microsoft Word VBA, as well as used it to do automated business letter writing, so I knew I could help with this relatively simple task!

However, I am finding a problem with the results. For example, The spreadsheet shows Chapter 38 contains 5,115 words. The word file shows 4,159 on both the bottom bar and the quick parts field. Any ideas why there would be a difference here?
That's interesting. I just found this article by Microsoft. So the solution (which seems to work!) is to replace (both occurrences . . . one Word count is for opening up the files, and another is if they are already opened, update whenever you click on any cell in your Table of Contents spreadsheet):
VBA Code:
wordDoc.Words.Count - 1
with:
VBA Code:
wordDoc.Range.ComputeStatistics(0)

Upvote 0
PERFECT!!!!

This was my first substantial venture into VBA coding. Thank you for guiding my way through this new adventure!:)

Upvote 0
PERFECT!!!!

This was my first substantial venture into VBA coding. Thank you for guiding my way through this new adventure!:)
Again, I am glad I could be of help. Also, please omit the code stated in this post if you haven't already. (Again, sorry about that.)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back