Is ‘overlaying’ rows possible

Terry436

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
For a number of years have been collecting data on family name from very many sources all of which has been entered into excel spreadsheet(s). Of course there are very many entries contains different pieces of date pertaining to the same individual eg

NAME ………..DOB ……….SPOUSE ………Address……..death

1. Fred. 1700. Joan
  2. Fred. Joan
  3. Fred 1 high st
  4. Fred. 1750
Poor formatting in the example, sorry but name-dob-spouse etc are columns Of course there are many more columns but I want to combine the rows into one row containing all the data filling in the blanks and overwriting duplicated values …. Can someone tell me if this is indeed feasible and if so then how

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Will you data always be in the correct order?
Row n = Name,
Row n+1 = DOB
Row n+2 = Spouse's Name
Row n+3 = Address
Row n+4 = DOD

Will you always have 5 entries for each name? and
Are the names in column 1 unique? Does it contain a first and last name? Or could you have multiple Joe Smith's?

There are probably several was to do this? One would be VBA code to run through all your records. The should be correctly sorted by name and grouped in the same order (if possible).

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Poor formatting in the example, sorry
Have a look at XL2BB for providing sample data.
Perhaps you could provide the sample data again with that?

It would also be good if you could provide the expected result(s) for that sample data so we can be sure just how you want the results to look and where you want them.

Further, does every row in a sheet have the same name in that first column (Fred in your sample)? If not, when providing sample data and expected results, please include data for say 3 different names in the first column.

Upvote 0
Thanks both … and I will try to post sample data, in the meantime to answer bisquedeguate’s questions

yes the data will always be in the same order although in the (poor) example I provided there are 5, in actualaity there is probably 30 columns but I figured I could adapt any help I was able to glean.
regrettably the names in column 1 are not unique, however a combination of name + DOB would be.
there are many occurrences of each name and the name is forename and surname in 2 separate columns.
I have it sorted at the moment by forname then surname then dob.
again I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this for me

Upvote 0
I just notices you had headings …name … dob … spouses name … etc as rows, they are in fact columns

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back