Is there a resolution or alternative when experiencing Power Pivot memory errors?

ez08mba

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Problem: I'm experiencing some 'not enough memory' errors with Power Pivot. What I'm uncertain of in reading posts here and on the Internet in general, is whether I can resolve this issue or need to seek an alternative solution - which I'm open to suggestions.

What I'm trying to do: Each table I mention here is a separate Excel (xlsx) file. I have an PowerPivot.xlsx that I'm using to build my PowerPivot Data Model from other Excel files.

I have a single column table (xlsx file) with unique values to act as a Primary Key which acts as the primary key in a 1 to Many relationship to a table I want to pull data from into a Pivot. My primary key table (i.e., KEY_SOURCE) has approximately 6800 unique values. My related table (i.e., CHANNEL_DATA) has 66,000 rows with 7 columns. If I just attempt to associate the Key to one column of the Channel table causes an insufficient memory error after about 3-5 minutes. However, this is concerning in the fact that I have 4 more tables (xlsx files) I hoped to link in relation with just as many rows (66, 000) and the same number or more columns.

What I have tried: I have done the best that I can eliminate unnecessary columns and other data.

This really doesn't seem like a lot of information to me for a corporate business, so I'm a little taken back I'm not even started and having this issue - but this may simply be the reality. I was hoping for something I could try so I could continue using the PowerPivot, or whether there was an alternative, like treating each file as a OBDC, or something. Curious anyone's thoughts.

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
@Matt Allington Thanks for the suggestion. I did download Power BI Desktop but haven't had a chance to learn it. Give me about a week or so to get back to you. Thanks!

Upvote 0
@Matt Allington After reading, practicing, and reading some more and watching a few tutorials, I think Power BI Desktop is handling the data easily so far without issue. So thanks for the suggestion. This appears to be the solution for what I need or hope to accomplish.

Thanks again for all the patience and help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back