Is there a workaround for Excel functions that will not take the result of VSTACK() as an argument?

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
For instance, RANK.EQ will not take the result of VSTACK() as an argument.

=RANK.EQ(5,VSTACK(4,5,6))
is not accepted as a formula, Excel gives the generic error message "There's a problem with this formula".
Also this does not work (with braces)
=RANK.EQ(5,VSTACK{5,6,7})

Is there a way that i can enumerate an argument that is not a range to RANK.EQ?

(I have also found functions other than RANK.EQ that have this behavior of not accepting the result of HSTACK or VSTACK as an argument, though i do not recall which ones at the moment. In most cases one can use HSTACK() or VSTACK() as an argument to an Excel function that would normally accept a range).

Thank you if you can help out for a workaround for this.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
It has nothing to do with hstack or vstack. Rank does not accept an array for the 2nd argument, it has to be a range.
Another option is something like
Excel Formula:
=XMATCH(5,SORT(VSTACK(7,5,6)))

Upvote 0
Solution
It has nothing to do with hstack or vstack. Rank does not accept an array for the 2nd argument, it has to be a range.
Another option is something like
Excel Formula:
=XMATCH(5,SORT(VSTACK(7,5,6)))
Thanks for this workaround. It works!...did have to modify search order with larger array sizes (my simplified example works as presented, but for me the sort needed to have -1 added, as:
SORT(VSTACK(),,-1)
for example.

I wanted to add a possible additional question but perhaps there is no answer. It is confusing to me that some Excel functions apparently specifically require a range argument (as RANK.EQ does, apparently), while many others that one normally uses with range arguments, do not absolutely require the argument to be a range, but it usually is. I'm not sure how to tell which ones requrie a range as vs. the ones where one almsot always uses a range, but specifically a range is not required. Just about all in most common use, SUM, MIN, MAX, and so on, you usually use with a range as an argument, but they work fine with VSTACK() or HSTACK().

Is there any general way to make VSTACK() or HSTACK() return a result that can be used in Excel functions that REQUIRE a range argument? Or must one always search for a "clever workaround" that is specific to the function in question? Which is what i would call this solution, a "clever workaround that employes XMATCH and SORT to attain the desired result that mimics RANK.EQ".

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Is there any general way to make VSTACK() or HSTACK() return a result that can be used in Excel functions that REQUIRE a range argument?
No, both those functions return an array.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back