Is there any situation when you want to create a Pivot Table but instead of using Tables you want to use Ranges?

Jamualson

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I was just wondering, beacuse tables are much more flexible.

Is there any situation when

- you would avoid making a pivot table from a table and
- make the pivot table only from plain ranges?

Seems to me there is no situation when using plain ranges as a source would worth it.

Thank you very much

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
One can use ranges for PT providing they are dynamic.
It's more complicated to set up but works fine. Tables did not exist in the pre-2007 versions.
OTOH creating dynamic ranges is a good exercise for understanding how formulas can work.

Upvote 0
Solution
I always create pivot table from regular range. I read there is one advantage of using table is that if you update the table then pivot table will be updated automatically but that is not the case with regular range and I tested that and it is true.

Upvote 0
I always create pivot table from regular range. I read there is one advantage of using table is that if you update the table then pivot table will be updated automatically but that is not the case with regular range and I tested that and it is true.
I'm sorry to say you are wrong. You can perfectly use a regular range, you just have to use dynamic ranges ( using defined names) as source for the PT
There is an illustration at Here is Why Your Next Pivot Table Should Have a Dynamic Range | Excelchat for example

Upvote 0
Wow thanks for the update. So what I read was wrong. I trust this site better. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan the procrastinator

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back