Issue with VBA Script for Sheet Protection while allowing formatting/pivots/grouping

igmiller

I use excel daily and would consider myself intermediate, but I am very new to the VBA world. I also do not have a programming background and therefore I am having a hard time wrapping my head around my issue.
I have developed a fairly intensive worksheet that I need to share with others and I need to protect the sheet from inadvertent damage, while also allowing the team to use filters, groups, pivots, row/column/cell formatting. I started down the VBA path as I needed to allow the use of the grouping feature. This has since morphed into protecting the whole sheet with a password while trying to enable the features my team needs.
This is the code i am currently trying to edit. I am not getting any debugging or processing errors, however none of my Allow functions are working. The sheet is being protected with the 'graham' password and the group functions are working. I am sure I am missing something small, such as layout or a few punctuation marks. My lack of programming knowledge is shining through now. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this working?

<code style="font-family: 'Courier New', courier, monospace; margin: 0px 2px; padding: 15px; border: 0px; border-radius: 2px; word-break: normal; display: block; font-size: 1em; line-height: 16px; overflow: auto; background-color: transparent;">Private Sub Workbook_Open()
For Each Sheet In Worksheets
Sheet.Unprotect Password:="graham"
Sheet.EnableOutlining = True​
AllowFormattingRows = True
AllowFormattingColumns = True
AllowFormattingCells = True
AllowFiltering = True
AllowUsingPivotTables = True​
Sheet.Protect Password:="graham", UserInterfaceOnly:=True
Next
End Sub</code>

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Try this:

Code:
For each sh in Thisworkbook.Worksheets
	sh.Unprotect Password:="graham"
	sh.Protect Password:="graham", UserInterfaceOnly:=True, AllowFormattingCells:=True, AllowFormattingColumns:=True, AllowFormattingRows:=True, AllowSorting:=True, AllowFiltering:=True, AllowUsingPivotTables:=True
Next

Upvote 0
Try this:

Code:
For each sh in Thisworkbook.Worksheets
    sh.Protect Password:="graham", UserInterfaceOnly:=True, AllowFormattingCells:=True, AllowFormattingColumns:=True, AllowFormattingRows:=True, AllowSorting:=True, AllowFiltering:=True, AllowUsingPivotTables:=True
Next

Thank you ! That worked great. I did initially lose the grouping functions as your example left out the Enableoutlining, but I was able to get it back in. I am now using:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
For Each sh In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    sh.EnableOutlining = True
Next
End Sub

Very much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back