Issues creating a work order system

Udaman

I have managed so far to create numerous tables, queries and forms to view and edit data, but the one thing I am completely stumped on is getting the right information based on two criteria to appear.

I have two database files:
  • Assets - This is where I track all information pertinent to just the assets (vehicles).
  • WorkOrders - Each Asset will have multiple work order numbers. These are Autonumber generated.

What I have been able to do is create a form that when you type in the Asset Number, a list of all Work Order numbers appears in a sub-form, with a datasheet view of all the available work order numbers and a summary of information. I can then double click on the work order number and it opens up another form with extended data about the work order. However, this is still just a summary of the work order. What I need next is to break out what I will call "Modules", which are specific parts of the work order. Examples of these modules are:
  • Brakes
  • Transmission
  • Engine
  • Powertrain
  • Etc...

In total I will have 10 of these modules (each it's own table), and I need to be able to have information shared from the main tables to these modules and back.

So the thing I am stumped on right now is being able to have a form that when I type in the Asset Number, instead of having it pull a query of all work orders numbers with a summary, I simply just want a list of corresponding work order numbers to show up in a combo box to choose from. Once the Asset Number and Work Order numbers have been chosen, then I can use navigation buttons to jump back and forth between the modules, without having to keep doing a search for the Asset and WO number combos.

So let's say a mechanic is working on a specific module, in order to get there he first has to type in the Asset Number, choose the correct WO number, then he would then just be able to jump to that module, make the changes, and have it reflect back on the summary page.

I have tried numerous methods to get this to work, and the only success I have had is in either a list of all work order numbers, or a blank list. I can't move forward with creating navigation buttons to the modules unless I get this piece to work first, so I am at an impasse at the moment.

So, my first question is, can anyone suggest the best practice to make something like this system work? Should I be using text boxes, lists, combo boxes, or perhaps something else I have not thought of or know about? Perhaps there is a tutorial out there that I have not found (believe me I looked) that might give me some step by step instructions that could aid me?

Any help or direction will be enormously appreciated.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Not sure I agree with your approach. Most of my career was as a mechanic with some specialization in equipment reliability and maintenance, and our company was known world wide (I kid you not) with our approach to ER. Though not involved in db design (it surpassed $10,000,000 in design, support, maintenance and modifications), I am VERY familiar with the concepts and use of such a system. So my take is that you are mixing the systems of a vehicle with a work order system by treating those vehicle subsets (modules, as you call them) as parts of a work order system. The biggest drawback you will experience down the road is that you cannot easily break out a system into sub system parts without parsing your tables into sub tables. If I were you, I would seriously consider having a table of equipment location codes with a parent level and as many child levels as you initially see fit. Any time you want to create a new child level, it is easy to add table rows as you probably know. It might look something like this:
EQUIP_LOC
LOC_CDSUB_LVLDESC
1000000POWERTRAIN
1000100ENGINE
1000200TRANSMISSION
1000300DIFFERENTIAL
1000400AXLES
2000000FRAME
2000100CAB
3000000ELECTRICAL
3000100WIRING
3000200LIGHTS
3000300CHARGING

<tbody>
</tbody>

If you want to be able to break child levels into sub-children, a slightly different approach would require you to have a pre-determined number of sub levels as fields, or perhaps a table of location numbers as well. Anyway, if that concept interests you, let me know.

The simple answer to your dilemma if I understand all of your post would be to have separate combos for asset and module, whose choices provide the applicable work orders. However, using your current approach, you will require a query with 10 module tables plus your asset and work order tables with external joins (because not every module table will return records for an asset). Should you ever add a table, the query will have to be redesigned - two good reasons for not doing it your way.

I also wonder if you really need a separate database for the assets, and if you've considered work order status and type as well. Types (PM or Corrective, Emergency, Unplanned, Fabrication) can provide useful data on where the money is spent (breakdowns or PM?). Status allows a work order to move through approvals, or at least, prevent them from showing up in your form results so that you don't have to see work orders from years ago because they are 'Complete'.
Lots of possibilities!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back