JOB SECURITY- How to make a VBA script expire!

cgmojoco

Has anyone come up with a method for making a VBA script expire?

I.e. it will only work for a specified time and requires the author of the script to renew it at a given point?

I want to be able to do this to strengthen my position as an independent contrator financially...and copy protect my work from unwanted exploitation

Some ideas:
1-MSG box requesting a pre-defined password to renew the time for the script to work along with contact info for the author

2-Ability to define # of days, months and or years the script will work

3-Ability to define the # of days, months and or years that a MSG box warning of pending expiration will appear

4Ability to define the # of days, months and or years that the renew will extend the use of the script with multiple pre-defined passwords allowing different lengths of time extention! Perhaps an encryption method allows you to in another excel sheet (say the comfort of your own home) generate at will a password that will extend a scripts life for 3 months?! They contact you again, and again you generate a "random" password that will extend the original script

5-Anti-hacking measures, using MS's built in security

This might be a useful way of extracting monies over time, for the use of a script you provide....pre-set

Ideas thoughts, point me to work already done in this area?

Thanks!

Excel is not a secure environment.

I can think of at least 2 ways to easily get round Neil's code.

Even passwords for Excel are inefficient.

They can easily be cracked.:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
As Norie already mentioned, Excel is not a secure environment.

Hopefully, no one will take the one suggestion discussed so far seriously.

Personally, if I had to rent software, it would be a last resort, i.e., software that I simply couldn't do without and software that was essentially a monopoly product.

Anything else that had an expiration capability would simply get trashed. And, yes, that goes for all trial programs that OEMs load on a new machine. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is delete the Norton/Symantec/whatever limited duration products from it.

Upvote 0
So everyone reading this understands, it is examining the windows time, so a user can simply change it.

Agreed, there is a downside to my code. In my situation this wasn't a problem since it's unlikely that our client would change their system time every day.

Excel is not a secure environment.

I can think of at least 2 ways to easily get round Neil's code.

Even passwords for Excel are inefficient.

All true, but if the VBA project is also password-protected, it would deter most users that I've come across. And the client has already asked me why he can no longer view the code (earlier versions weren't password-protected), so I'm fairly confident that in this case, it will remain secure.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back