Leading ' Issue

cr2crf

When converting a column of formulas to values, the results are the values with a leading apostrophe ( ' ). The values looks like this - 'CRASH. When I do the same operation in a co-workers identical spreadsheet it does not produce the leading apostrophe. The formula to produce the value is identical. Any clue?

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
How exactly you converting the formulas to values?
What is the format of the columns before you convert them (General or Text or something else)?

Upvote 0
I highlighted the column, copies and pasted 123 values. The column format is and always has been general.

And, remember, when I do the same operation in a co-workers identical spreadsheet it does not produce the leading apostrophe.

Upvote 0
"Pasted 123 values"? I am not sure what means?
Are you actually using Excel, or another program like LOTUS 1-2-3 or Google Sheets?
Or was the original file created in another program, like LOTUS 1-2-3, or exported from some other program?

In Excel, it would be Copy --> Paste Special --> Values.

In your are doing this in Excel, and that is the method you are using to copy, please post an example of one of these formulas so that we can see what it looks like.

Also, I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
"Pasted 123 values"? I am not sure what means?

I highlight the column, right click and select copy, then right click and select past 123 (which is exactly the same as Copy --> Paste Special --> Values

Microsoft Office16 Excel Windows

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting the details of what you are using, though it would be more helpful (for future posts) if you updated your account details, as indicated in that link.

I see the icon shows the "123" link, which is the same as CTRL-V, so that makes sense (I never used the icon options before).

So I think at this point, I need you to answer the other question I asked in my previous post:
In your are doing this in Excel, and that is the method you are using to copy, please post an example of one of these formulas so that we can see what it looks like.

Upvote 0
I see the icon shows the "123" link, which is the same as CTRL-V, so that makes sense (I never used the icon options before).
No, the 123 icon is NOT the same as CTRL-V. It is the same as copy paste special values

Upvote 0
What exactly is in cell AL1?

When you say that it does not happen when a co-worker does it, are you both trying it on the EXACT same file?
If so, then it probably has something to do with one of your Excel settings.
I am not sure which one it would be, but if the same file behaves differently on different computers, then it means that there is something different about your version of Excel.

Upvote 0
Do you have the Transition navigation keys option checked under File - Options, at the bottom of the Advanced section? If so, and if the cells are left-aligned, you'll see the ' formatting marker.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back